Nubble Light Christmas Tree Dive 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken abucs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday the United Divers of New Hampshire performed our 16th annual Christmas tree dive. I had only done this dive once before as part of the Christmas in July, so I was eager to try the main event.

Every year the town of York Maine has a ceremony when the Christmas lights on the lighthouse are lit for the season. As part of the event we sink a lit tree in the afternoon, then raise it from the depths before the lighthouse is lit.

We were worried about the weather all week, it looked like the weather was going to be clear, but the wind and waves we cause for concern. We knew we had a chance because the wind was coming of the shore. As I was driving to the dive site I went by the beach. There were surfers in the water, never a good sign for a shore dive. At the cove for Nubble Light the waves were at the upper end of the acceptable range, but still diveable.

We assembled the tree, and brought it to the water's edge. Gary who owns the tree added some foam blocks to the float system to improve the stability on the surface since the last event. We all suited up and brought the tree into the water. The dive team consisted of Gary, Luis, Walt, Scott and I. This was Scott's 1st post-certification dive. Unfortunately Scott was underweighted, so he had to abort.

We towed the tree out on the surface and Gary dove to find the mooring. Visibility was 3-4ft, so it took some time. As much as we tried, the tree wouldn't come down. Gary borrowed my knife and went up to cut the newly added foam blocks free. It still took some effort getting it down, but we managed.

My exit was the worst from this dive site. I tried to swim in as far as I could them climb to my feet. But the waves were just frequent and strong enough to knock me back in. I was huffing and puffing by the time I got out.

After killing a 3+ hour surface interval it was getting dark, time to finish the job. Scott had to leave, so he couldn't join us for the 2nd dive. We got suited up and headed for the water. On my way down I slipped and landed on my backside. I have never fallen before on this entry, but I have to do it now when a few hundred people were watching.

Normally when we swim out to raise the tree, the water around the tree is glowing, so it's easy to find. Between the poor visibility and the fact that half the lights flooded none of the light was making it to the surface. It took some time, but we finally found the tree. We dove down, cracked the cyalume sticks, and slowly let the tree float.

Gary surface swam for a while, and towed the tree around. I alternated lighting the tree with my HID, and letting its lights shine in the dark. Normally we'll float the tree until the lighthouse lighting, but it was too choppy to stay on the surface that long.

The exit was much smoother this time. The waves were lighter, and I was able to stand up in chest deep water, and walk out with my fins on. Good thing, it would have been very embarrassing to have a sloppy exit with a few hundred people watching.

Pictures at
Nubble Lighthouse Christmas Tree Dive 2008 - a set on Flickr
ar119621401896564.jpg

Last edited:
Ken - Thank you for telling me about this event. My friends and their three small children from Cambridge, MA enjoyed themselves as did I.

Their kids were so excited watching the scuba divers, the xmas tree raising and the light house lighting...but of course they were even MORE excited about talking to Santa...lol...go figure?? No worries I was excited to meet you and your wonderful dive buddies.

Again, thank you for a memorable night. Their kids are still sleeping, they are usually waking me up by now but had so much fun last night they are still tired from the events.

Have a nice rest of the weekend Ken, and again, was great to meet you.

Sam

Interesting report, Ken, especially hearing about the technical problems and your solutions!

Nice pics on Flickr, too! :)

Dave C

This was my 2nd time participating in the event. This year was the 16th year the club has done this. Only twice in 16 years was it cancelled due to conditions, weather. 3 years ago, we cancelled the tree dive because the Coast Guard cancelled the lighting due as it was unsafe for town parks employee to make the crossing to the light house to turn on the lights. This will never be a problem again because the town parks dept has rigged the lights to be lit from the parking lot.

Every year, we have some technical glitch. this year, two of the 3 casings which hold the batteries flooded so we only had one string of LED lights working on the tree vs. the 3 we usually have. At least Gary has the rigging and float system working now. In years past, the tree would come up at an angle but now it's coming up upright like it should. The tree is showing it's age. The club will need to shop for a new one soon. I can see Gary shopping for one now.. "Excuse me but what are the bouyancy characteristics of this tree?.. is it neutral?"

It was a beautiful clear night. I couldn't help notice the hundreds of stars as swiming on my back before dropping down. Totally intimidating being in water with hundreds of people looking at you. Even with the poor vis, underwater you see hundreds of flashes go off as the tree is being raised. Yes, makes you very careful to make it look so effortless getting up and out of the surf with everyone staring at you.

Water temps at depth (20 fsw) were 42-44. We were lucky the winds died down topside. Ken's trusty portable Coleman gas heater helped in our impromptu "tailgating" party.

I look forward to participating every year.

Great pictures and write up. I enjoyed myself even though I couldn't get down. (next time i will know better). It was great being part of the event. Looking forward to next year.

Cool man!!! Sounds like a good time! I guess the "holiday" season is upon us . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom