any dive spots in the tri state area..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mels_2

Reaction score
My husband and I are looking for dive sites in the tri state area. We spend our summer weekends in the Athol/Orange area. Tried Laurel Lake today and lets just say that was a bust. Water was realitively warm 72F which was a nice change to the 52F we have been diving, but the water wasn't very deep. We were 200 yards off shore and only in about 7 ft of water. About 2 feet of weeds with lots of silt, and staying off the bottom left us with only 7 feet of depth. And looking out it didnt seem to have any area that would open up, not without going so far out that we would have run out of air on our return so we called the dive and ventured back in. Would really like to dive this summer and being new not sure what sites are around that area. WE are around 30 min drive to Keene NH. and about 30 min from the VT/NH/MA borders. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Terri

Sounds like your looking for shore dives. Try looking up Nubble Light in Maine. It is a popular shore dive sight with parking, rest rooms and varied depths and topography.

mels_2:
My husband and I are looking for dive sites in the tri state area. We spend our summer weekends in the Athol/Orange area. Tried Laurel Lake today and lets just say that was a bust. Water was realitively warm 72F which was a nice change to the 52F we have been diving, but the water wasn't very deep. We were 200 yards off shore and only in about 7 ft of water. About 2 feet of weeds with lots of silt, and staying off the bottom left us with only 7 feet of depth. And looking out it didnt seem to have any area that would open up, not without going so far out that we would have run out of air on our return so we called the dive and ventured back in. Would really like to dive this summer and being new not sure what sites are around that area. WE are around 30 min drive to Keene NH. and about 30 min from the VT/NH/MA borders. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Terri

If you want to scope out some fresh water sites I picked up a copy of the Delorme lake maps, for Maine. I have not checked to see how many other states have been done. They are mainly published for fishermen but include depth topography and inflows/outflows. Combine that with a detailed state atlas to find public access points and you're on the way to some new sites. State websites may also list aceess points, also keep an eye out for where kayakers are launching from, like you they just need access, not a ramp and trailer parking.

In some cases a modest surface swim may be advisable to save air for the good parts. Bring a catch bag for any golf balls you find. It's amazing how many sites I've found where people have drive oodles of balls into the lake or ocean. If you surface you can usually guess at the tee location!

I'm looking forward to South Pond in northern NH, near Starks. I skin dove there years ago and recall very very clear water, also cool for early August but that's the price.

I'll ask again any scuba experince at South Pond on the forum?

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom