lobster claw strength

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubberduck

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
New to NE lobstering and after being pinched a few times by the smaller ones started thinking what a 3-5 pounder could do for damage. Could they sever a finger?

Anyone have interesting battlescars and stories?

There's a lobzilla at magnolia that looks like it could kick my *ss, let alone hurt my finger.

Unless you're dealing with a genuine sea monster, I think the worst you'd get with cold water gloves on is a blood blister. Not that that's pleasant, but it beats the heck out of severed digits.

i can vouch for CA's statement...that thing was a MONSTER

one of my 1st jobs as a teenager was working in my friend's father's fish market.

i was loading the tank with a fresh shipment of bugs when i pulled out a giant 3+ lbs lobster without any bands on it. i held the critter in my left hand while looking for the bander; thats when i felt his claw.

the claw (his crusher-claw no less) felt like a pair of giant vice-grips on my finger. a second or two later he let go. my finger was swollen for a couple hours and a little bruised, but it was fine by then next day.

sure it hurts, but unless you're attacked by some freak-of-nature 10-pounder you wont suffer any permanent damage.

unless of course, you're this guy

warpig:
one of my 1st jobs as a teenager was working in my friend's father's fish market.

i was loading the tank with a fresh shipment of bugs when i pulled out a giant 3+ lbs lobster without any bands on it. i held the critter in my left hand while looking for the bander; thats when i felt his claw.

the claw (his crusher-claw no less) felt like a pair of giant vice-grips on my finger. a second or two later he let go. my finger was swollen for a couple hours and a little bruised, but it was fine by then next day.

sure it hurts, but unless you're attacked by some freak-of-nature 10-pounder you wont suffer any permanent damage.

unless of course, you're this guy

I used to give those guys a hard time 'cuz the lobsters have no claws to fight back. I stand corrected. That guy is one bad mofo.

Another thing for us NELDers to consider is getting bitten on the way up. I had a rather large one grab my inner thigh through the bag and my neoprene drysuit, and it still hurt. A few inches away and he might have launched me right out of the water. :11:

rubberduck:
New to NE lobstering and after being pinched a few times by the smaller ones started thinking what a 3-5 pounder could do for damage. Could they sever a finger?

Anyone have interesting battlescars and stories?

Read this thread before you go sticking your fingers in "their space"

Fearless diver gives 8-lb lobster the finger...

The more it hurts when you catch them, the better they taste when you eat them. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom