Diving in Nova Scotia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulthenurse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone know what the skinny is on diving/lobstering up in Nova Scotia? Alice and I are headed up there mid August. Should I throw the dive gear in the truck? I'm not crazy about diving in areas of 30 foot tides since I want to come out within 10-15 miles of where I went in, but there must be some areas where it's not like that. Also, can you grab bugs legally there. Do you need to be a resident, have a permit, etc?
Paul
PS and perhaps most important...
Is it really as expensive as it seems to take a car across on the ferry? It looks to me like round trip for three adults and a car comes in around $800!!!!!! It might be a 10 hour drive but I can buy a hell of a lot of gas (ok I can buy a couple of fillups) for 800 bucks. Am I missing something? Hell, I have to drive around 1/3rd of the way anyways, to save 800 bucks I'll swim the rest of the way. (Confirmed cheap *** yankee.)

For information about Nova Scotia contact Dave Clancy through his site: http://nswrecks.net/home.htm. He is THE MAN - IMHO, when it comes to diving in NS.

He is a very nice guy and is always willing to share information with fellow divers.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis

Is it really as expensive as it seems to take a car across on the ferry? It looks to me like round trip for three adults and a car comes in around $800!!!!!! It might be a 10 hour drive but I can buy a hell of a lot of gas (ok I can buy a couple of fillups) for 800 bucks. Am I missing something? Hell, I have to drive around 1/3rd of the way anyways, to save 800 bucks I'll swim the rest of the way. (Confirmed cheap *** yankee.)

Marcia and I are going similar timeframe. yes, the CAT is ***** expensive and we are going to load up on redbull and do the drive. my calcs had it at $600 but still a savings even when you factor in the gas. its personal time you lose by doing the drive. this was not a factor for us.

wreckedinri:
For information about Nova Scotia contact Dave Clancy through his site: http://nswrecks.net/home.htm. He is THE MAN - IMHO, when it comes to diving in NS.

He is a very nice guy and is always willing to share information with fellow divers.

Dennis
I will second that Dennis. Dave is a good friend of mine. He usually comes up from Florida for a week during the summer and does a few dives with us. He used to put a group togethor to dive NS every year. From the stories he has told me, it looks like the diving is great.

Hi, I live just outside Halifax and have been diving for a while and haven't seen a 30' tide yet. We average 6' from high to low where I am. Unfortunately, lobster can't be taken legally any way shape or form in Canada by divers, which blows! As to the Cat, I can't say, but I know the drive around, and if you have the time, it ain't bad in summer. Any particular destination/dive site once you are here?

10-15 miles.

I was going to suggest you tuck your passport someplace in your undergarments while diving. Sounds adventerous, cool, and clear. Something Ide defintly do in the summer. Ive seen documentaries of the sound up ther and fishermen having to constantly time the tide. Amazed by the speed of the tide and its height.

Nice pics from Florida by the way looks like you had a great time down there.

Wow, this post is a blast from the past. We never did make it to NS last summer. Someone (I'm not saying who but his initials are PTN) was remodeling the kitchen and it wasn't going quickly enough to make someone else agree to go away on vacation and come home to find the kitchen still not complete. (Again, I'm not naming names but...)

Maybe we'll get there this summer.
Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom