Diving Buzzards Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lostaflippa

Reaction score
I'll be trying to get some bottom time this season with a boat out of Pocasett on the weekends. Suggestions for dives around the Mattapoisett to Woods Hole area are requested. Most of my diving to date has been North Shore so I expect the Flora and Fauna to be much different!

Thanks!

Tom

there is another member on board, John Chaplain (jchaplain) who frequently launches his boat out of waquoit bay. He pops in here every once in a while. I think he's tried diving once in bay somewhere. I've tried talking him into doing some of wrecks in bay but he's concerned re: currents. I've always wanted to explore the old canal (original canal).
http://www.scuba-newengland.com/DiveSiteDetail.asp?DiveSiteID=143&StateID=MA

It's a boat dive for sure and again, have to watch currents. The only diving I've done around there is Woods Hole Garbage Beach shore dives. I'd be up for exploring potential dive sites in summer when I'm at my in-laws in Dennisport.

For more sites in buzzards bay, go to
http://www.scuba-newengland.com/DiveSiteList.asp?StateID=MA

Luis

we keep a sailboat in naskatucket bay, have done very limited shallow shore dives. would be interested in knowing peoples thoughts on decent dive areas in buzzards bay.

lostaflippa:
I'll be trying to get some bottom time this season with a boat out of Pocasett on the weekends. Suggestions for dives around the Mattapoisett to Woods Hole area are requested. Most of my diving to date has been North Shore so I expect the Flora and Fauna to be much different!

Thanks!

Tom

I do not know of any "dive sites", but I do know about some wrecks in that area. Right outside of Padanaram there is the wreck of the Yankee, vis typically is not great and the wreck is flattened out on a muddy bottom so caution is advised. If you head south-west, there is the Cowin, she has a bit of a higher profile and on a high tide the vis can be pretty good. Just a bit west of the Cowin you'll find the remains of the barge Angela, she was loaded with cement when she ran up on the rocks of Hens and Chickens Reef. The Angela can be a very pretty dive when the seas are calm. To the south of the Angela you can find the Hilda Garston. She was a steel scallop boat that sank after hitting the same reef that claimed the Angela. Vis on the Garston is usually pretty good but it's a slack water dive, I'd do it on a high tide. Lastly, if you want to ride out to Cuttyhunk, there is the YSD 56. Gary Gentile covers it quite well in his book Shipwrecks of Massachusetts, South http://secretsquirreldivers.com/ggysd.html. His book also covers the wrecks I just mentioned, including accurate GPS coordinates. And yes, they are accurate numbers, as we were together when he checked them out.:wink: I have a bit of info on Buzzard's Bay wrecks at my site http://secretsquirreldivers.com/buzbay.html, but Gary's book has much more, including the history of the wrecks as well as locations.

Of course, the further west you want to head, the more wrecks become available . . . but that's another book:eyebrow:

Be Safe and Have Fun!
Dennis

naskatucket:
we keep a sailboat in naskatucket bay, have done very limited shallow shore dives. would be interested in knowing peoples thoughts on decent dive areas in buzzards bay.
June through September I'll be right on the other side of Sconticut Neck from you, Pope's Beach area of Fairhaven, but so far I haven't done any local diving other than checking out moorings. I keep a little 14' sailing dinghy in front of my place, and take it out several times a week for a run over towards New Bedford and Butler Flats lighthouse.

Pretty often I do see guys lobstering off of Ft. Phoenix, or out in the middle of outer New Bedford Bay, around Egg Island. Haven't tried it yet myself, though.

Charlie Allen

Right in that area is the clevend ledge lighthouse, it is supposed to be a good dive. A short distance from there there is a very rocky bottom that may be interesting. The old canl entrance is supposed to be a good drift dive, but the visibility isn't that great until the fall. There is also remnants of an old coal barge near there. (basically a pile of coal.) The buzzards bay light tower is supposed to be a good site also.

I would love to join you on any of those dives, as it is in my neck of the woods.

reefseal:
Mfalco, good to hear from you. Looking forward to getting out with you this season. Appreciate your turning me onto Garbage beach.

Last night I was just looking at the navigational charts for the area off garbage beach the other day. I'm trying to figure out how difficult it would be to get from the shore to the area called the "wreck site". if you look on a chart and make a line from the front of grassy island (a pile of rocks) to the front of ram island, about half way between there are a bunch of submerged wrecks.

here is a link to the chart
http://205.156.4.52/cgi-bin/EyeSpy....buttons&alig=0&contenttype=image/jpeg&375&275

Back
Top Bottom