Lake Champlain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eandiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Going to visit my sister this June or July in Vermont and thought about doing some diving in lake Champlain. Any recomendations on special gear, shops, spots or charters? I have a Bare 7mm hooded suit, gloves and boots for cold water. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Hello eandiver,

I live in VT and dive in Champlain. Where in VT are you visiting? Champlain stretches along a good stretch of the boarder between NY and VT. The majority of the lake has relatively poor vis 10-15 feet. However the northern larger part of the lake is somewhat better. There are some wrecks, dating back to revolutionary war. There are a lot of zebra muscles, and most everything in the lake is completly encased by them. There are a couple of shops in Burlington, Waterfront Divers, and Victory Sports.

Some other spots you may want to dive:

Lake George, Lake George in in NY but very close to VT. Vis averages 20-40ft and in my opinion far better diving. There is a state park with campsites where you can easily do some shore diving. Just off shore is a small sunken boat and a station wagon. Lots of fish. Boat charters aqre available too. There are some small wrecks from a range of time periods.

Sunset Lake (VT). Close to Champlain. Very small lake, however in the center of the lake there is a shallow (what we refer to as "fresh water reef") are that is a breeding ground. The closest thing to the Caribbean that we have here. Vis is usually 30-40 feet. Turtles, catfish, trout bass and some very large pike. My favorite local dive.

I am a PADI Master SCUBA Diver Trainer. I have a boat and provide charters in the area. More often, I am leading shore dive excursions. The sunset lake spot offers shore dives as well as the "reef" I mentioned. We access the reef via kayaks. There is a LDC close by in Rutland, VT-"Bottom Time SCUBA. There used to be 2, but "Morin's Dive Center" recently went out of business.

Feel free to email me for more info, or if you would like a guide. o2scuba@aquatic1.com

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Thanks for the advice and dive spots. My sister lives in Underhill and I also have a friend in Moretown whos brother does a lot of diving and salvage up your way.
I've been to Lake George for a motorcycle rally and that was a nice area but Sunset lake sounds even better.
When we come up I will be in touch.

Mark

I realize this is an old thread, but hoping to revive it a bit. We moved to the Rutland area this June and have been exploring the diving that's around. Can folks provide some advice on shore diving locations on the south end of Champlain? Also, I have been diving the main shaft at the quarry in West Rutland and would like to explore the tunnel system further, but am looking for a local with experience (and training) to act as a guide. Please let me know if you can help with either.

Also, I have been diving the main shaft at the quarry in West Rutland and would like to explore the tunnel system further, but am looking for a local with experience (and training) to act as a guide. Please let me know if you can help with either.

Are you cave trained?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom