Clam Rating Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Clams are special! Good fried stuff is an integral part of the late spring/summer/fall dive season in New England. There is nothing quite like inhaling the aroma of fried seafood wafting from a clam shack and secretly scuttling off to your favorite spot* with a grease-stained brown bag filled with fried Fruits-de-Mer.:D

So, in the interest of promoting these lovely artery blockers I've created this chart. It features my obsession with fried clam bellies, as well as recommendations that came from this original thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-england-lobsta-divahs/203592-best-clam-bellies-after-dive.html

Four stars represents the epitome of "fry-dom." I have personally tried these restaurants and can vouch for them. The unmarked restaurants are recommendations by fellow SB'ers. Please feel free to share your New England area (ONLY) "fry" experiences.

* don't forget your significant others during your gustatory moment(s) - you will never hear the end of it! :eyebrow:

Attachments

• Clam rating chart.pdf
    27.5 KB · Views: 171
Just north of Foley Cove over the Rockport line is the Lobster Pool Restaurant. I know the owner so my opinion would be biased (I had the chowder today, it was good :wink:)but I would like to hear what other people think, and it would be worth adding to the list of Cape Ann clameries.

Here is the website. The Lobster Pool Restaurant, Rockport, MA.

My hat is off to anyone who can eat more than one oyster sober. I sure would like to be able to eat them, but....aaaah, can't do it.

For the record, the Hingham Lobster Pound is on the South Shore, not on Cape Cod. Although some people consider anything south of Boston "Cape Cod", it's really an hour north of the Sagamore bridge (without traffic), and less than 30 minutes from the city.

In addition to excellent clams, their scallops, shrimp, haddock, fried lobster, oyster, bananna fritters, and onion rings are all superlative, and I understand the lobster rolls and chowder are good too, although I personally can't bring myself to order something that isn't fried when I go there... they just do such a fantastic job with it.

For the record, the Hingham Lobster Pound is on the South Shore, not on Cape Cod. Although some people consider anything south of Boston "Cape Cod", it's really an hour north of the Sagamore bridge (without traffic), and less than 30 minutes from the city.

In addition to excellent clams, their scallops, shrimp, haddock, fried lobster, oyster, bananna fritters, and onion rings are all superlative, and I understand the lobster rolls and chowder are good too, although I personally can't bring myself to order something that isn't fried when I go there... they just do such a fantastic job with it.

I'll make some geographic corrections on a updated belly guide, plus include the Lobster Pound @ Rockport. Please keep the recommendations coming and I'll make sure that divers visiting MA,ME, NH,VT, RI, or CT will have a choice of gastronomic delights...mostly fried! :D

BTW - for clam lovers there's a site called: Home Page at www.WeLoveClams.com

Cheers,

X

An update on the clam guide. I am checking out more restaurants...Amelias has now been downrated to "1" stars. The wife insisted on going there. She ordered clam bellies for me, and chowder for herself. The chowder was watery and three swallows in - she gave up and had to run to the restroom. I had bellies which were bitter as they probably cycled the oil several times over. I was flatulent all evening. The lack of customers in the parking lot should have been a giveaway. Geeez. This rating stuff can be tuff.

X

I hardily endorse Flo's and they can be placed across the board in your pdf guide as they offer all of the selections although my personal favorite are the bellies. The Flo's I'm referring to is the Flo's shack in Island Park which is a section in the Town of Portsmouth. There is also a Flo's Clam Shack at the Newport/Middletown line across from Easton's (First) Beach and I think it is the same owners.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom