Mini-trip report -- Back Beach -- Sat., May 17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
My buddy and I did 2 dives at Back Beach on Saturday morning. Weather was not particularly nice -- with winds out of the east, air temps were only in the high 40s when we arrived.

With the east winds, I was a little worried about vis and surf -- as we drove up, we noticed a little chop, but nothing major.

Visibility was actually quite good -- likely some of the best I've seen in recent memory for a Cape Ann shore dive. On the first dive I would estimate the vis at about 20 feet once we got out away from shore.

2 dives -- both about 45 minutes. Max depth on both dives = 25 feet. Water temps varied from 46-48F. We were both diving wet. Saw 2 lobsters that looked like they might be legal (we were not hunting). Also saw what looked like a large Ocean Pout who stayed very still as we hovered above him -- very nice.

Spectre, gmbaker, and I went to Stage Fort Park that same day. The water was like glass. Vis was ok closer in to shore, but got a bit stirred up further out.

Saw several enormous sea ravens, flounder, skate, a couple jellyfish (what kind of jelly fish are they!?) and a borderline lobster that we let go.

No surf, but a bit of a current. We did two dives.

never let the new kid measure a lobster you caught :)
Soggy once bubbled...
<snip> and a borderline lobster that we let go.</snip>

Back
Top Bottom