Mooring in place this season on Saturday Night Ledge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Matt,

Welcome to ScubaBoard! I don't know if the mooring bouy is back, but a group from my dive club is doing a dive there on Sunday. I can ask at the next meeting next week and will let you know on here!

-Roman.

I plan to dive Saturday and would like to do SNL if the mooring is there. Otherwise I will probably head over to Halfway Rock.

Thanks again.

--Matt

From one of the CAD captains the mooring is there....have a fun dive.

I've never dove SNL, but, I just got an invite so I think I'm going to do it soon. BTW, where exactly is it?

I did 1/2 rock 2 weeks- one of my favorite dives, although it was bit chilly at depth - 42degs.

Ah, someone beat me to it, I saw the buoy (white, with a red band, slightly larger than a lobster pot marker) 2 weeks ago.

As it sounds, its a ledge with a ~5-6 crack in the top. The top of the ledge is ~90ft if I recall correctly, and the crack drops down to close to 120 ft at the bottom of it, giving you a 30 ft deep canyon of sorts. Very nice dive, although short due to depth.

Last time I was there, we were going to do 2 dives with Franny. After the waves built to ~5ft by the time we got back to the boat, we canceled the second dive (I was still game...)

I have done SNL a few times. I have never been able to find the depths people have talked about though. It's directly between Halfway Rock and the Chester Poling. 3 miles from shore - Magnolia I think.......The mooring is in a crack at about 90'. I have never been able to go deeper than 112' at that site. You would need to swim a football field straight out to sea to reach the 120-140' range others have mentioned. (I drove my boat around with the depth gauge to see how far you would need to go for those depths.) Heading South from the mooring/crack (short swim) you can actually top out at 65'. It's a nice dive - more pristine than many other sites due to the distance from shore.

The very bottom of Halfway Rock is 108' at high tide and computer in the sand. That is one of my favorite dive sites as well. My last two visits this year were cold and we had decent swells/currents. We usually decend to the bottom and spiral up and around back to our starting point.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom