Cape diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
Just returned from vaca on Cape. Was staying in Dennisport. (Mid cape) I brought my gear hoping to get some diving in.

Now I know why there are few dive charters operating out of Cape.. There really isn't much worth diving.

I don't know what I was thinking but I tried a charter arranged through Cape Cod Sea Sports (Hyannis) It was billed as a wreck dive and site with rocky bottom on 2nd dive. The boat was the Emily S. The first dive was a lobster dive just out of Sesuit Harbor . The Captain took us way out to sea. When we got in, nothing but Sandy bottom and tons of sand dollars. The Captain admitted he goofed and put us out about 1/2 mile beyond where he wanted to. I surfaced after 10 min with my buddy while the others kept diving hoping to find anything. 2nd dive was closer to Corporation beach. Rocky, grassy bottom. Shallow. I could have done a surface swim from beach to get the same diving in. $65 cost. I did manage to find a couple keepers. I know Dive Locker uses Cape Cod Charters. I'm sure I would have had better luck diving with them.

Hathaway Pond is still a nice little dive. Nice to not have to rinse your gear afterwards. Saw a decent sized trout under the fishing boat wreck.

Never was able get a dive in w/ Yak for dive at Old Canal. From what I gather, it's really a boat dive as the currents could make for a long sufrace swim. Also, there really isn't any legal parking. I'm told local residents are quick to call the cops when outsiders park next to the only private lot next to the entry point.

Dive Locker (Hyannis) was doing guided dives at Garbage Beach in Woods Hole. Unfortunately, was not able to get out the day they went. (beach day w/ kids)

There are other sites to dive (sheeps pond, Sandwich beach, Corporation Beach) but they just weren't worth suiting up and rinsing gear afterwards.

The best diving was off cape in nearby Plymouth. I managed to get some dives in off my buddies place in Plymouth. I also managed to get a boat dive in Warren Cove near Plymouth Beach. (Good spots for bugs)

lf

reefseal once bubbled...

Now I know why there are few dive charters operating out of Cape.. There really isn't much worth diving.

Duh... I couldve told you that... Its one big sandbar.

Next time, hook up with the guys at the Dive Locker in Hyannis... Mike knows the best spots to dive on the Cape...

www.capedivelocker.com

Check him out next time...

Hey Luis,

Sounds like my experince w/ MV diving, there's just not too much good diving down there. On a postive not, I was talking to someone about "John's Pond" just over the bridge that is supposed to be nice (80' deep). Once the fall comes and traffic dies down it might be a nice place to explore.

I just got a new pair of doubles, so I'm trying to take it easy w/ them untill I get my weighting down and I'm fully comfortable w. them, but, I'm sure I'm sure I'm going to be some charter diving sooner or later. Also, I'd love to make the trek up to do the "lady of the lake" wreck in NH sometime.

BTW, I went back to long pond last sunday....lets just say the conditions made the time we went there seem like a nice dream. Vis was even lower (at times close to zero) and I was once again hot as hell. Nothing like a DS, doubles, argon bottle and canister light for a 20' dive in 80deg pond water. :)

Let me know in advance. I usually end up coming down to the Cape 1 or 2 more weekends in Fall to close up. Would like to try Johns Pond. Also forgot to mention Bass River. I'm told it's a good dive but don't consider trying in Summer due to boat traffic. It's drift dive. Lots of goodies to find on bottom from old antique artifacts to lost items from boaters/Fisherman. Doubles will come nice on the Bass river drift dive! I would have to dive w/ my Steel 112.

I would be up for trying Wini. Never dove Clarks point yet. Lady of lake is really a boat dive. Really shallow and close to marina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom