New Diver looking for spots (and help!) in New England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devilheels

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi! My husband and I are recently OW certified. We've done about 25 dives, none by ourselves. My inlaws are down in Narragansett, RI, and I'm wondering if there's any places in the area that do dives for relative beginners with equipment rentals? We have never dove anywhere north of Cuba :). Any thoughts or assistance would be welcome!

If you ever get to Maine, there are some pretty good spots too!

I would love to dive in Maine! My husband, not so much. I'm still new enough that I'm not comfortable diving without someone who is familiar with the area. Where are some sites you'd recommend in Maine? I've spent many a vacation on the coast of Maine!

I"d give Red a shout at Giant Stride Dive Shop in Warwick, I'm sure he can help you find some areas. Off the top of my head, Fort Wetherill in Jamestown is a nice dive. I did it once and enjoyed it.

You might also want to shoot a message to After Dark. I believe he is somewhere in that general area and can point you in the right direction.

Fort Wetherill in Jamestown, RI gets a big +1 from me if you want a relatively easy shore dive. Lots of classes go out there. There are some easy shore dives in MA in the Cape Ann area i.e. Back Beach, Front Beach, Old Garden Beach. Parking can be tough depending on where you go. Stop in at Cape Ann Divers to talk to them also for info. There are some very easy shore dives that you may feel comfy doing yourselves...

What part of CT are you from?

I did a few dives in Gloucester (Cape Ann) area and was quite impressed. I plan on getting together with some more folks from this board late during the season. I normally rent my tanks from Mass Diving. They also have a shore diving program that any one could join for free. MA and ME has a good coast line and while no one thinks of those places as "diving destinations" they do have some really nice dive sites. I plan on exploring that coast more but I too far. Only trips to my in laws would now enable me to dive those areas.

I'll chime in there again, like the others said, there is a bunch of good diving up in Massachusetts. It's actually pretty hard to find a site that isn't diveable in most weather conditions on Cape Ann. If you do go up to Cape Ann, there are plenty of shops in the area. Some shops that I've had good luck with are East Coast Divers in Brookline, South Shore Divers in Weymouth, Boston Scuba in Boston, Cape Ann Divers in Gloucester and Andys Sport Shop in Fitchburg. If you do make it up to Cape Ann, I'd recommend either tagging along with a shop as a good number of them host shore dives each weekend (I know East Coast does for sure) or swing by Cape Ann Divers as they can point you in the right direction based on the weather and your abilities.

Maine is probably a beautiful place to dive. Never had the pleasure but I'd bet it's a lot like Cape Ann which is a wonderful place to dive. The water is cold but usually pretty clear for this part of the world that is, 20' vis is not uncommon.

Newport has some easy shore entries and as a rule better vis than Jamestown but nothing is set in stone. The West side of Beavertail is good diving, shallow and protected however goat paths on steep hills must be navigated to get to the water and back. Mountain Goat Diving, no PADI cert for that if you can do it you pass, don't matter how ugly. Closer to CT is Narragansett Pier 5 and the barge sunk to the left in front of the beach. You can see on Google Earth. :wink: Safe diving.

Last edited:
Wow, great info! Thank you so much. I'm originally from Boston, so I'm familiar with Cape Ann. I will check it out. I'm just west of Hartford now, so not much good diving that I know of. Good to know that I can find places in Rhode Island, too. Thank you, everyone! I really do appreciate it!

If you ggo to Cape Cod the Jetties at the EAST end are fun JUST dive them at LOW TIDE...Lobster.flounder.white chins.V

Back
Top Bottom