King's Beach 9/15/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learn It

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My father and I went to King's Beach in Newport, RI for my first shore dive in the ocean. We had a BLAST!

Dive #11 - Monday 9/15/14, 70degrees and sunny, surface water temp of 69 and bottom of 66. 5kt winds from the west with a high tide @ 1:40 PM. First dive @ 1:30, max depth 20 fsw, with fair to good visibility. No current, minimal surge. This was a very long dive, as we took our time with everything. It was my first dive without a guide, and his first in 20+ years. This means we had to navigate underwater ourselves for the first time. It was also my first time towing a dive flag. We swam out to the W point of the first cluster of rocks visible at high tide S from shore. There we made our decent to about 15ft and traveled south through sand/eel grass out to the island/reef. The visibility close to shore and in the eelgrass was poor. I couldn't tell you what I would estimate the vis to be, because I have no idea what qualifies for what...:confused: Once we reached the "island" we began to loop around to the south side of it and the visibility became MUCH better, as did the marine life. Beautiful different colors all swaying with the surge with hundreds of fish bustling about. No lobsters, eels, or skates to our dismay. I truly loved the spot though, a lot to see and without a guide we can finally just sit and enjoy the scenery (no hustling after a DM in your 3$ rented joblot fins) We were going to try to go around island and come back to shore from the east however it looked like a narrow passage very close to the surface with small waves crashing down soo we decided to head back around the west side. When we finally got some of our gear off and to the car it was 15:30 :shocked2: we had spent a solid 2 hours in the water! and still had air to spare.

Dive #12 - Logistics the same as dive #11, however the tide had gone out quite a bit as the dive was started @ 15:50. We submerged and went straight out to the island as that is where all the life seemed to be. The tide was going out, surge was stronger and we encountered a few weak currents. The shallower water/beaming sun made for some great visibility. We got around to the south side and hung out for a solid 20 mins enjoying the schools of fish and watching the waves break above.

When I first arrived I saw a man with CT plates unloading a kayak and dive flag which he put in the water rowing far into the distance (few hundred yards) before dropping in... also so a spearfisherman with a kayak unloading at the Green Bridge.

As you can tell I am very new to diving, but loving it. I want to dive the Green Bridge next.

Thanks for the report and glad you had a blast. Planning to continue diving the RI area or head up to MA sometimes too?

My father and I went to King's Beach in Newport, RI for my first shore dive in the ocean. We had a BLAST!

Dive #11 - Monday 9/15/14, 70degrees and sunny, surface water temp of 69 and bottom of 66. 5kt winds from the west with a high tide @ 1:40 PM. First dive @ 1:30, max depth 20 fsw, with fair to good visibility. No current, minimal surge. This was a very long dive, as we took our time with everything. It was my first dive without a guide, and his first in 20+ years. This means we had to navigate underwater ourselves for the first time. It was also my first time towing a dive flag. We swam out to the W point of the first cluster of rocks visible at high tide S from shore. There we made our decent to about 15ft and traveled south through sand/eel grass out to the island/reef. The visibility close to shore and in the eelgrass was poor. I couldn't tell you what I would estimate the vis to be, because I have no idea what qualifies for what...:confused: Once we reached the "island" we began to loop around to the south side of it and the visibility became MUCH better, as did the marine life. Beautiful different colors all swaying with the surge with hundreds of fish bustling about. No lobsters, eels, or skates to our dismay. I truly loved the spot though, a lot to see and without a guide we can finally just sit and enjoy the scenery (no hustling after a DM in your 3$ rented joblot fins) We were going to try to go around island and come back to shore from the east however it looked like a narrow passage very close to the surface with small waves crashing down soo we decided to head back around the west side. When we finally got some of our gear off and to the car it was 15:30 :shocked2: we had spent a solid 2 hours in the water! and still had air to spare.

Dive #12 - Logistics the same as dive #11, however the tide had gone out quite a bit as the dive was started @ 15:50. We submerged and went straight out to the island as that is where all the life seemed to be. The tide was going out, surge was stronger and we encountered a few weak currents. The shallower water/beaming sun made for some great visibility. We got around to the south side and hung out for a solid 20 mins enjoying the schools of fish and watching the waves break above.

When I first arrived I saw a man with CT plates unloading a kayak and dive flag which he put in the water rowing far into the distance (few hundred yards) before dropping in... also so a spearfisherman with a kayak unloading at the Green Bridge.

As you can tell I am very new to diving, but loving it. I want to dive the Green Bridge next.

We should hook up for that dive. Conditions at Green Bridge are very different than Kings Beach plus there can be heavy boat traffic.

Kings Beach is a nice site and you've only done 2 dives there. You have plenty of diving left to do at Kings Beach.

Also Fort Adams behind the Eisenhower house in the East passage is a nice site. There are several easy points to enter and exit and plenty of parking. A really nice dive there starts by climbing down a steep hill to the water holding on to the chain link fence that separates Hammersmith Farm from Fort Adams. That is NOT one of the easy entries but worth doing. If you do it on the incoming tide close to high slack you can drift to one of the easy exit points to the North. One of you can walk back for the car while the other stays with the gear.

Glad you enjoyed your diving!

Thanks for the report and glad you had a blast. Planning to continue diving the RI area or head up to MA sometimes too?

I am from the South Shore, MA. I plan to dive more RI just because ease of access and the warmer water I guess. I eventually want to dive Gloucester / Cape Ann for sure.

---------- Post added September 17th, 2014 at 02:07 PM ----------

We should hook up for that dive. Conditions at Green Bridge are very different than Kings Beach plus there can be heavy boat traffic.

Kings Beach is a nice site and you've only done 2 dives there. You have plenty of diving left to do at Kings Beach.

Also Fort Adams behind the Eisenhower house in the East passage is a nice site. There are several easy points to enter and exit and plenty of parking. A really nice dive there starts by climbing down a steep hill to the water holding on to the chain link fence that separates Hammersmith Farm from Fort Adams. That is NOT one of the easy entries but worth doing. If you do it on the incoming tide close to high slack you can drift to one of the easy exit points to the North. One of you can walk back for the car while the other stays with the gear.

Glad you enjoyed your diving!

I agree, I would be perfectly happy at King's Beach for many more dives to come. I was just thinking because I am still renting and driving over an hour that I would like to explore all that I can, or do 2 tank / 2 dives. That Fort Adams sounds pretty intense, I would love to try it out. How far into fall can most people comfortably dive with a 7mm wetsuit?

I'll have to PM you about Green Bridge, maybe next week if it works out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom