USS Bass, The Front of the Con is Gone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munromh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here's a quick video on the latest change to the Bass:

The Front of the Con is Gone! Well, toppled over anyway......
We had been told by M.P. (aka Sky Pilot) that the conning tower of the Bass, or a part of it, had been toppled over. On a recent dive to the Bass, 09/20/2014, we were able to check it out for ourselves. This video shows what she looked like in 2012 and what she looks like now.

USS Bass Conning Tower - YouTube

Last edited:
Thanks for the video.

under water some where

I got that news myself in a dive report sent to me.

Sat. 9/20/14; dive #1
Wreck; USS Bass
Depth; 154'
Seas; 3'-5'
Vis.; 40'+
Water temp.; 58*
Bottom time; 51min.; deco time, 41 min., total time, 97 min.
Tied hook in at sand on the port side 25' aft of the brake. In passing at 128' I could see that the 10' high X 12'+ wide forward section of the conning tower with fwd gun mount has been ripped free of superstructure/hull and is hanging off the port side. This whole very, very, large piece is held on by only a small piece of steel and is movable with a slightest touch. We all took care not to swim under this while exploring the wreck site. We interned the ashes of a WWII submariner/ Pearl Harbor survivor inside the sub via the conning tower hatch. As per his final wish, and that of his surviving wife. Grabbed some scallops, saw some nice Cod.

Yes, your supplier of the dive report, Pat, is the guy you see popping out of the front of the con in the first part of the video from 2012 at 00:17 (seventeen seconds in). He's also the guy on the left hanging at 1:53.

Since Pat mentioned it, we did inter the ashes of a WWII submariner/Pearl Harbor survivor inside the sub via the conning tower hatch. I'll be putting a memorial video together of that.

Pat is a GREAT guy and is "featured" in my 2012 Bass video.

If you missed it:

Last edited:
Yes, your supplier of the dive report, Pat, is the guy you see popping out of the front of the con in the first part of the video from 2012 at 00:17 (seventeen seconds in). He's also the guy on the left hanging at 1:53.

Since Pat mentioned it, we did inter the ashes of a WWII submariner/Pearl Harbor survivor inside the sub via the conning tower hatch. I'll be putting a memorial video together of that.

If you missed it:

Do you have another link to your video? When I tried to watch it said unavailable?

under water some where

If you missed it:

I don't know or dive with Pat, I'm just on the same web site(s) that he posts on.

You guys did a wonderful thing. Looking forward to the memorial.

I didn't miss that video but thanks for posting it. :)

Here's the direct link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzpXyqCvJ38

It may not play on mobile devices, I used a audio track that is copyrighted, "Sacred Ground" by Craig Chaquico, and the video is "blocked in some countries" ....... but it appears it's also blocked on mobile devices...

Thanks!

under water some where

On September 20th 2014 the remains of Pearl Harbor Survivor Master Electrician Charles John Roskoski USN were interred into the conning tower of the USS Bass.

Back
Top Bottom