Drysuit seal replacement question and mini trip-report from Nov 22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
First the report = Back Beach in Rockport at mid-day on Saturday. Perhaps I haven't been diving there in a while.....but parking meters give a whopping 8 minutes per $0.25 :shocked2:

Conditions were very calm despite the winds last week...which fortunately were out of the W and SW. Visibility was great in some places = at least 20 feet (reduced in some spots as there had been a class in the water just before us). Water temp was 46-47.

I did have a nice leak in one of my seals during the dive. I felt water near my forearm as we went in the water...decided to power through. As the dive went on, it became apparent that this was not a minor leak. I learned one of the major disadvantages of horizontal trim on this dive...that it made water pool right in my crotch = BRRRR! Lots of underwater gyrations to get it to move somewhere else. My relatively new Fourth Element Halo 4D did a decent job of keeping me relatively warm despite the leak. What sucked was standing in the cold wind and pealing off the soaked layers (I guess I shouldn't complain since there were wetsuit divers doing the same). The leak was a quarter inch hole in one of the seals above (towards the elbow) my dryglove rings...looks to have been caused by some sort of puncture.

So that leads to my question = who seems to have the fastest/best drysuit seal replacement service around here (greater Boston)? I've sent my suit to DUI and Superior before...would be good to have it done somewhere local for a change.

Thanks.

First the report = Back Beach in Rockport at mid-day on Saturday. Perhaps I haven't been diving there in a while.....but parking meters give a whopping 8 minutes per $0.25 :shocked2:

Conditions were very calm despite the winds last week...which fortunately were out of the W and SW. Visibility was great in some places = at least 20 feet (reduced in some spots as there had been a class in the water just before us). Water temp was 46-47.

I did have a nice leak in one of my seals during the dive. I felt water near my forearm as we went in the water...decided to power through. As the dive went on, it became apparent that this was not a minor leak. I learned one of the major disadvantages of horizontal trim on this dive...that it made water pool right in my crotch = BRRRR! Lots of underwater gyrations to get it to move somewhere else. My relatively new Fourth Element Halo 4D did a decent job of keeping me relatively warm despite the leak. What sucked was standing in the cold wind and pealing off the soaked layers (I guess I shouldn't complain since there were wetsuit divers doing the same). The leak was a quarter inch hole in one of the seals above (towards the elbow) my dryglove rings...looks to have been caused by some sort of puncture.

So that leads to my question = who seems to have the fastest/best drysuit seal replacement service around here (greater Boston)? I've sent my suit to DUI and Superior before...would be good to have it done somewhere local for a change.

Thanks.

Two good shops locally: United Divers in Mass. and Diver's Cove in Conn. Both do in house repairs and testing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom