Flounder hunting time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have done plenty of reading on where to find them, etc. Saw quite a few beginning of summer this season. My question is, when do they start coming in shallow? Late winter, early spring?

Thanks,
Bill-So. Maine

I don't hunt flatfish - but I seem to remember seeing more of them come late spring (Rockport Ma) when water temps go up. Flat and sandy seems are their preference. Not that this helps you much - in California I used to collect English sole, Starry flounder and California halibut near sloughs/estuaries.

I have done plenty of reading on where to find them, etc. Saw quite a few beginning of summer this season. My question is, when do they start coming in shallow? Late winter, early spring?

Thanks,
Bill-So. Maine

Last June, they were everywhere in the Gloucester/Rockport area (keepers). I recall dving in Folly Cove (the middle is sandy) and grabbing good-sized flounder with my hands just to see if I could (I did.) On one dive in Salisbury, I was with a guy who grabbed one by the tail and put it in his catch bag. Crazy!

I witnessed a few spear-fishermen bag several in June-July in less than 30 feet of water.

Typically they come in from deep water in the late spring/ early summer - then move back out as the water cools in the early Fall.

I've seen them spawning in 10fsw in Feb and March. They are skinny and slow. We were able to grab 2 - 3 at a time because of the way they are laying on one another and their slow reactions. That was back in the 80's before there was seasons and bag limits. That could be part of the reason there is a season and bag limits! I cringe when I think how many flounder 3 of us would take during one dive. I haven't done that in years after learning how harmful it was to the population. Probably waiting a few months is a good idea as they probably start eating after they spawn and fatten up some. Some were so skinny we had trouble filleting them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom