Massachusetts lobstering...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey neighbors, does anyone have any info on the scuba lobster fishery? When did it start, has it always been that way? Was there legislation at some time in the past that made it available? Maine, as you know, currently does not allow that... Thanks for any info.

ss4f

Great question,

Unfortunately I got to claim ignorance on this one. I even tried a little google surfing and couldn't come up with anything substantial. I've dived for lobsters for many years in MA so this would be interesting reading if anyone comes up with some info. Are you looking for some precedence to allow for rec. lobster diving in Maine or just curious?

Tursiops, I can find the regulations just find too. That is not what I'm seeking. I'm looking for, as drunkendiver hit the nail on the head, how it came about that you folks are able to harvest via scuba for that fishery. We, currently, cannot do that here in maine. Yet, they landed 123,000,000 pounds of the now inexpensive cockroach of the sea in 2012, and the crustacean is still exploding in quantity.

Drunkendiver, I'm going to reach out to the mass fishery people and see what I can dig up.

Thanks,
ss4f

I suspect you are going to find that it is all about the power of the commerical fishermen...not about how much is being landed or its plentifulness.

You are absolutely correct. That is why there is also a referendum option. Maybe they can concede rather than spend a bunch of money defending it? I mean, in all seriousness, there probably aren't more than 100 divers in maine that dive more than 3 times. It's a long process for sure. But it's long overdue. I know they think they do, but they dont' own the bugs or the water, especially at $2 a lb.

Lobsters are anything but cockroaches. They're special animals and I know this because I've kept them in captivity and studied them. They're the basis for a million dollar industry.

Since you live in Maine - you know that local politicians (fisheries, or towns) are less than open to the idea of any other method of equitable, or shared harvesting. Their constituents - tight-fisted, closed-minded, aggressive, oft-teetering on the edge of broke aren't going to jump on board with anything which may affect their perceived landings. The close knit communities of Maine/Massachusetts always impress me with their uniform ability to not change. Even when there is a logical, or incentive-based reason to do so.

Aside from your personal desire to fish, or hunt - you better have a big war chest and some politicians in your pocket to get anywhere.

X - Former Marine Biologist

Don't have the history, but I would assume it is the result of ME having the largest Commercial lobster fishery in the US...and likely an accompanying strong lobby with extensive political connections.

With the economic impact described below ($ and employment), it's no wonder they don't want recreational divers messing with their livelihood.

Recent article from the Portland Press-Herald:

"The industry that revolves around Homarus americanus is estimated to have a $1.7 billion annual impact on the state, according to the Lobster Institute at the University of Maine.

Lobster accounted for 65 percent of Maine’s total seafood catch in 2012. There are more than 5,100 licensed commercial lobstermen in Maine, and the industry employs roughly 15,000 at the peak of the season – including fishermen, processors and retailers, said Colgan.

But even beyond the numbers, many of Maine’s coastal communities are heavily dependent on lobstering.

“It’s not just the fishermen, it’s the restaurants, the boat builders and tourist industry, and so many others,” Colgan said."

Steady hand holds Maine lobster industry's fate - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Massachusetts fishery is dwarfed in comparison to ME's - from the Bangor Daily News (Feb 2015):

"Of the 149 million pounds of American lobster caught in the U.S. last year, more than 127 million pounds were brought ashore in Maine, accounting for 85 percent of the nationwide catch. Massachusetts, with the second largest American lobster fishery in the country, landed 15 million pounds in 2013, or a little more than 10 percent of the nationwide total.

Lobster keeps Maine fishing ports among top nationwide

I've had a recreational permit for lobstering via scuba in MA since 1986...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom