OGB mini trip report-- Torpedo Ray!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
2 nice dives at Old Garden Beach in Rockport yesterday evening -- 1 daylight, 1 night.

Saw my first Topedo Ray just before we turned in about 45 feet of water -- very cool. He didn't move and let us take a long look at him. Vis was about 20 feet -- not bad.

Second dive was after dark along the right side of the beach in shallow water -- nothing particularly noteworthy, but a great dive on what turned out to be a beautiful night.

-Chris

Okay, that's it! Enough already! I definitely have to go diving at OGB this Summer with all these ravings reports.

LobstaMan

LobstaMan:
Okay, that's it! Enough already! I definitely have to go diving at OGB this Summer with all these ravings reports.

LobstaMan

Did 2 dives at OGB today... in the water by 9am, first dive on heading of 90 degrees turned up a lot of muck... just boulders covered in sea wead. No bugs, no stripers.

Second dive, went straight out, reached depth of 40 feet on an in-coming tide, 4 bugs, great vis numerous stripers. One of my buddies said he pulled out a "two hander" (needing two hands around the tail to hold it) and the thing was "monsterous".... and of course, an egger. He said it was a good inch-and-a-quarter over the max (6 1/4" body).

Lots of classes and lots of lobsta boats, but great diving!

:D

Those torpedo rays are impressive.... the big one I saw down here in RI last week was just as sluggish. It probably would have let us watch it for the entire dive if we felt like it.

Hurleyskis(John) and I did two dives at Folly Cove today(1st time for me). Saw two torpedos rays on the first dive on the left side of the cove. The first torpedo ray snuck up behind us while we were admiring an overhang. John turned around and motioned for me to do the same. Spun around and saw it swimming off the bottom toward the middle of the cove. Followed it and John took some pics. Must have been over 4 feet long. I hope the photos come out. His twin was buried in the sand a little farther down the left side of the cove. I never saw one before and two in one dive! Great experience and beautiful dive site w/ lots to see. Second dive was nice, also. Brought home dinner(no, not the ray/lol). I'll be back.

LobstaMan

I saw my first Torpedo Ray myself, this year. He was 100 yards off Front Beach in Rockport.

Torpedo Ray Picture

I thought that there was no night-diving allowed at OGB..?

I've never really understood how this could be legal as I thought all beaches were public property..

minigirl:
I thought that there was no night-diving allowed at OGB..?

You can legally dive at OGB at night. In Massachusetts you can dive from shore any place any time that the public is allowed to use the same facility. There is a sign that says no Night Diving, but that doesn't make it illegal to do it. Of course someone would have to go through the trouble and expense to get the sign taken down and I've never heard of any hassles there so it looks unlikely anyone will go through the trouble.

Side Note: Lobsta Man definately get one day in at OGB, it is one of the better dives for just about everything you could look for in a shore dive.

ScubaNorth...
I went to OGB a couple of times and had really bad vis..based on what i've read i am ready to give it another shot. Any tips on where to go? Last time i found that heading out slightly to the right was nice

You are on the right track. I usually head out to the right until we hit the rocky bottom and then sweep a bit to the left as we hunt. This is a great site for a little of everything but I have yet to pull out a good sized keeper. I'll just have to keep trying.

Back
Top Bottom