Bug, Male or Female?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubastew

Reaction score
This has likely already been asked (100 times)...

but how do i tell the difference between a male and a female lobster. It's not that I am a "perv" or anything just figured I'd leave the females behind.

Isn't there some differnece with their flippers on the underside of the tail??

scubastew

females have little pincher looking things on the last set of legs that they use to kick off their eggs. I don't think the males have this.

Flip 'em over and take a look at the first set of swimmerets (from body to tail) Males have pointy, rigid ones that look differnt from the rest of his, while a female has flater, 'hairier' ones that are similar to the others. On bigger females, the tail is also flared out (see pic on 'big bug' post of yesterday) on the sides to help carry the eggs under the tail.

is that the last set of "legs" under the caripace or the first set under the tail? Thanks for the info...

Wendy:
Very cool info!

Yeah, I was just browsing some of the other info on that page - if you click some of the other areas on the left.

Check out the oversized lobsters and also the deformed claws and various colors - pretty freaky!! :11:

You might find this amusing...I wanted to (sigh) purchase a bug from a local supermarket recently. My wife doesn't like dealing with the eggs so I always get male lobsters. The clerk didn't know the difference. HE'S SELLING THIS STUFF DAILY!. I educated him on the anatomical differences and he thanked me.

:wink:

Espically with big ones, you can tell right away from the claws - males have very big claws. In general, both while diving and in my traps - we get way more females than males.

A big male is HUGE rarity. In fact, out out the hundreds of bugs I've taken, I've never caught a male over 3lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom