How to rig a truck bed to carry dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure of the best forum so I will start here. I switched from an SUV to a new truck. I want to rig up some sort of means to secure dive gear (primarily tanks). I was thinking of using 2X4's to build a frame that would sit on each side of the wheel wells. Any ideas or suggestions?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks

--Matt

I went through this just recently.

My thought process was that, if I could get all the tanks in some kind of rack, I could carry more because they'd be standing.

This is true to some degree, but there's a couple of problems with the idea:

1. Most any sort of "really" secure rack is going to be some kind of permanent installation, meaning that on days where I want to carry something other than tanks, the rack will be in the way.
2. Standing the tanks upright might seem like a good idea, but they're much more inherently stable if they're lying down.
3. Having a rack that stands tanks upright means that I'm limited in the number of tanks I can carry - if I have 10 "racks," for example, then I can only carry 10 tanks before resorting back to the "lay them down and secure them" method that I used before I got a tank rack.
4. Having the tops of the tanks exposed higher than the sides of the truck attracts unwanted attention - they're simply more "out of sight, out of mind" if they're lying down.
5. Unless a (vertially-oriented) tank rack is cut to exacting sizes of the tank, there's going to be a lot of wobble in the tanks, possibly doing damage and at least making the whole driving thing a noisy excursion.
6. Cost.
7. Permanent alteration to my vehicle.

I tried a variety of methods of securing tanks, but finally found my favorite way of securing single tanks: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FoamTankRack Cheap, easy, simple, and they come out of the truck when I'm done. Best of all, they prevent both roll and back and forth sliding, as they're sorta "grippy."

They also fit most scuba tanks without alteration.

Simple.

You can DIY the tank racks like the ScubaToys one, for about a quarter of the cost. I got myself a pool noodle, cut to the length I wanted (cutting in 4 peices seems a good size) put some holes in it and ran rope thro it, knot it at the entrance and exit of the noodle, then tied the ends. I used a serated knife to make the holes. Took me about a half hour and that included looking for some rope laying around.

No rolling, removable and emergency ladder for the boat all at the same time.

I originally made mine with PVC years ago, but the tanks slipped, so we grabbed a placemat made out of the non slip rubbery stuff (about 79¢) and not a problem afterwards.

I already had a pvc and rope ladder type tank holder which worked great in my SUV. In the truck bed (with bedliner) this would slip all over the place. I ended up making a frame as a referenced above with 2X4's. My bedliner (Duraliner) has two vertical notches seemingly designed for a 2X4 about 1' behind the wheel wells. I decided this would be my frame anchor. I then cut and fastened two support pieces perpendicular to the anchor piece snug against the wheel wells. I completed with a top support piece mid wheel well. Imagine this symbol laying flat on the bed: "_T_T_". My pvc tank holder is laying above the T's in the diagram. The 2X4 at the top of T is laying flat so the wood touches the tanks below the valves and manifold. The bottom anchor 2X4 is on its side as required by the verticle notches in the bedliner. This frame system provides compartments to hold tanks all the way forward (closest to the cab), gear bags in the middle, and other things like my dinghy engine close to the end of the bed near the gate. I will let you know how this works out tomorrow when I test it with gear for 2 people loaded.

The pvc or similar tank holders are really handy and you can make them for less than $10. My ridgid pvc should work well because the pvc tubes sit into the grooves of my bedliner to prevent sliding when I go around corners. The frame structure should prevent movement when I accelerate or brake.

--Matt

that I have RhinoLiner on my bed so the PVC doesn't slip at all. I love Rhino. The best thing I ever did.

Since the thought of a couple of steel 95's flying into me during an accident didn't sound like fun, I bought a cargo net from Burden's Surplus (about $10, I think).

http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2004103108014328&item=1-2327-A&catname=

It's an actual net, made out of seat-belt webbing, not one of those wimpy-for-look-only nets. It works out very nice, and one net holds down my 3 tanks and wheeled bag, with some extra space left over.

Terry

matt_unique:
Not sure of the best forum so I will start here. I switched from an SUV to a new truck. I want to rig up some sort of means to secure dive gear (primarily tanks). I was thinking of using 2X4's to build a frame that would sit on each side of the wheel wells. Any ideas or suggestions?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks

--Matt

I have a couple of cement mixing tubs that I use in the back of my pickup. They fit two tanks each perfectly. The tubs are cheap and no fuss. If you shore dive you can use the tubs to stand in when changing.

On another note Matt - I think the mooring is gone from Halfway Rock. We looked for it this morning.

Great day for a dive. Lots of scallops and some lobsters. Good visibility too.

MadisonK:
I have a couple of cement mixing tubs that I use in the back of my pickup. They fit two tanks each perfectly. The tubs are cheap and no fuss. If you shore dive you can use the tubs to stand in when changing.

On another note Matt - I think the mooring is gone from Halfway Rock. We looked for it this morning.

Great day for a dive. Lots of scallops and some lobsters. Good visibility too.

I dove Halfway today as well and unfortunately the mooring was gone. The wind and seas really picked up between the time I descended to when I ascended. The vis was about 15' for me.

Afterward the boat was pulled for the season.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom