Diving in New Hampshire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phat_HC

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My company has an office in Manchester New Hampshire that they want me to relocate to. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea what the diving there is like. My current stomping grounds are the Great Lakes.

Thanks,
Frank

Well, there's really only two main places to go. About an hour and a half north of Manchester is Lake Winnipesaukee. It's not bad if you just want to get wet. The visability isn't that great but then again there 'aint much to see anyway. Your other main option is an hour east to the coast. I'm not sure if there is much diving from the coast but Portsmouth is the main city and they run several charters from there. I've only been out to the Isle of Shoals which is about a half hour ride out of Portsmouth harbor. There are all kinds of little ponds and lakes all over the state but your better off hooking up with a local dive shop to hear about those. There always the option of driving down to Mass. It's probably a half hour from Manchester to the border and I know there's some great wreck dives down there. Sorry, I've only been diving for about 6 months but I hope that helped. I'm sure other's will have more suggestions. :fro:

I've got no suggestions for NH, but Manchester is not far from Cape Ann in Mass. where some of the best dive sites in New England are located. A couple of first class charter services run trips off shore all the time and there are several beautiful shore dives as well. The biggest problem would be parking, but if you time your arrival correctly, you won't have a problem. Try <capeanndivers.com> for a look at their charter services and a nice map/description of the local shore spots. I can't wait to get back up there this dive season. Good luck.

LobstaMan

Phat_HC:
My company has an office in Manchester New Hampshire that they want me to relocate to. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea what the diving there is like. My current stomping grounds are the Great Lakes.

Thanks,
Frank

There is a "fairly active" dive club based in Manchester ... United Divers of New Hampshire

For the diving itself, Lake Winnepesaukee (in Laconia, Wolfeboro, Alton, etc. ...it's large though not as large as any of the GLs) and Newfound Lake in Bristol are fine diving if you want to dive rather than 'see things' :)

Many divers from NH will head to Nubble Light in York, ME for ocean diving from shore. There is also CapeAnn in MA and a slew of other options, depending on how far you choose to drive.

Email me ... Green_Manelishi@Juno.Com and we can 'chat'.

G_M

Welcome to NH. I too recommend you check out united divers of nh. We organize a lot of fun dives like our annual underwater tree lighting ceremony at Nubble light. The club meets 1st and 3rd monday's at Manchester Y. I'm in Merrimack, 20 min s. of Manchester. I do a lot of artifiact diving in Piscataqua river. Lots of old apothacary and antique bottles, old fisherman ceramic pipes. Then there is Cape ann which about an hour and 15 min away. Let me know when in town.

lfiguero@gmail.com

there are a lot of beautiful dives to do here in new england. new hampshire you have the lakes and the coast. you also have quite a few dive shops in new hampshire to get some info about where to go and every dive shop i have done business with has been more than helpful.
you also have have dive shpos here in mass. that are just as good as the dive shops in n.h. and then you also have the boat dives to do. every one of them just as good as the last one if not better every time you go out.
the state of maine has some beautiful dives also with nubble light being one of the top ten.
no matter where you go in new england i would be willing to bet you won't be sorry to re-locate here. also scuba board you will pick up a lot of good info and meet some really interesting people on board.
if you like to do night diving you will be in for a real treat and you can bet your last dollar on that.
once the weather gets a little better and any time you would like to hook up give me a holler and we will go from there. any way welcome to scuba board and the wonderful world of new england diving. enjoy

nite_diver

Gotta friend in Portsmouth who wants to get certified. Can you give me any recommendations on dive shops in the Portsmouth area. We'll be doing a referral for the open water so this would just be class and pool.

Thanks,

Dennis

nite_diver:
there are a lot of beautiful dives to do here in new england. new hampshire you have the lakes and the coast. you also have quite a few dive shops in new hampshire to get some info about where to go and every dive shop i have done business with has been more than helpful.
you also have have dive shpos here in mass. that are just as good as the dive shops in n.h. and then you also have the boat dives to do. every one of them just as good as the last one if not better every time you go out.
the state of maine has some beautiful dives also with nubble light being one of the top ten.
no matter where you go in new england i would be willing to bet you won't be sorry to re-locate here. also scuba board you will pick up a lot of good info and meet some really interesting people on board.
if you like to do night diving you will be in for a real treat and you can bet your last dollar on that.
once the weather gets a little better and any time you would like to hook up give me a holler and we will go from there. any way welcome to scuba board and the wonderful world of new england diving. enjoy

nite_diver

drdiver:
Gotta friend in Portsmouth who wants to get certified. Can you give me any recommendations on dive shops in the Portsmouth area. We'll be doing a referral for the open water so this would just be class and pool.

Thanks,

Dennis

Atlantic Aquasport in Rye, NH.

Onsite (saltwater) pool, private lessons. Your buddy will pay a bit more for the private
lessons but you have the undivided attention of the instructor. It's worth it.

My husband and I did a couple of boat dives late October with Captain Rob's charters from Rye, NH to the Isle of Shoals. First dive was lovely - a deeper "wall"-type dive called Star Island wall. Second one was the standard seal dive, shallow.

Atlantic Aquasport in Rye, NH.

Onsite (saltwater) pool, private lessons. Your buddy will pay a bit more for the private
lessons but you have the undivided attention of the instructor. It's worth it.
Yesterday 01:00 PM

Thanks a bunch!!!

D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom