Auckland diving - October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyingvisit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi

I "might" (definitely the operative word!) be headed to Auckland in October, just wondered about diving in the area. I'd like to get a dive trip in over one weekend if possible while I'm there (I'll be working in the week).

My main issue is going to be transport though - short of hiring a car - is there anything in/around Auckland that is easy to get to? Public transport? How far is it to the nearest dive sites? I'd probably be looking for an offshore dive if possible...

Also, any advice on charters recommended etc would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Some of the best diving in New Zealand is just a few hours north of Auckland. Bus run regularish north, so you should be able to get atleast one day, maybe two days of diving. Dive! Tutukaka http://www.diving.co.nz are out pritty much every day. Paihia Divehttp://www.divenz.com have a deal for two days of diving on the wrecks of the Canterbury and the Rainbow Warrior for $380.00 including all gear. This also includes two reef dives, so you get a great tastes of NZ diving! I previously worked at Dive! tutukaka, and now own Paihia Dive, so a little bias! I rate NZ diving as some of the most diverse in the world. Hope that helps. Craig

Hi,

Just had another thought. You can also fly from Auckland to Kerikeri, or Auckland to Whangarei on the Friday night. Then bus back down on the Sunday afternoon. That would get you a full weekend diving then!

Craig

Thanks for the tips - I've been looking at your website, and I must admit I'm definitely interested in the 4 dive weekend - I'll be bringing my gear with me so I'd only need tanks/weights. Might just hire a car for the whole weekend to make things easier!! Can I PM you and arrange something if my trip is confirmed?

What are the water temps going to be like? Is it warm enough for a 3mm in October?

Thanks again!

Not warm enough for a 3mm unless you very hot blooded, most locals wil be in 7mm or dry, I am actually a Wellingtonian but suspect that north of Auckland in October it is about 18C..
Do go if you can, I still have not done the Rainbow Warrior but it is on my 'to do' list.
Alison

Hi, Water temp will be more like 15- 16 degrees:D. I use a one pce 7/5mm, but I don't feel the cold! We have 2pce 7mm in hire, depends what you are use to. Feel free to pm, or email through the website. Look forward to seeing you up our way.

Craig

Both Craig and Alison have given some good advice, would definitely suggest Dive! Tutukaka and a trip out to the Poor Knights.

There is a daily bus service between Auckland and Whangerei, from which it's a short hop to Tutukaka: Bay of Islands New Zealand services : : Northliner Express

Depending on when you are here, I might be able to offer a lift and be a dive buddy. I'd probably only get a day pass, though - and even that might be a struggle, so hiring a car is a very good option.

We are coming to NZ in February. I want to dive the North Island. I have looked at Poor Knight area and the Bay of Islands. If you had limited time and wanted to Max your diving time. ( wife does not dive) Where would you go? I am a New England drysuit diver (water temp 42degee F to 60 degree F , so water temp is not a big factor.

We are coming to NZ in February. I want to dive the North Island. I have looked at Poor Knight area and the Bay of Islands. If you had limited time and wanted to Max your diving time. ( wife does not dive) Where would you go? I am a New England drysuit diver (water temp 42degee F to 60 degree F , so water temp is not a big factor.

If you wanted to max your time diving I would aim for the poor knights on a liveaboard - provided you can get a two or three day pass. I like Oceanblue but it is not the only one. That way you can easily get more than a couple of great dives a day.

Alison

At present water temperature is 14 degree C or 57 F around Matauri Bay. You can get away with a two piece 5mm, or 7mm one piece.
The Poor Knights is a must do! (Dive Tutukaka) Then an hour north from Whangarei the Bay of Islands.
Northland Dive offers accommodation at a great price also.

I am out around the Cavalli Islands most weekends, you can buddy up with me if you like?

Back
Top Bottom