North island in end May - June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gunpowderboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I will be heading to NZ (based out of Auckland) last weekend of may until the second week of June. As we are both there for work we are only able to travel on the 27th+28th of may and the 4th to 7th of June. We would be able to do a dive or two in the evening/night during the week in or around Auckland though.

Since we have been lucky enough to be spoiled by the fantastic reefs of the Red Sea a couple of time we are more interested in doing some interresting wrecks (within recreational nitrox limits). Low vis and cold is no problem (the questionable benefit of living on the shores of lake Geneva...). The Canterbury and the Rainbow warrior looks interesting but what would you guys recommend?

Any tips on good dive operations are also highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you looking to do any other form of travelling in those dates, or is it all about the diving?

Local diving around Auckland is fairly average, you'd need to travel an hour to get to something half reasonable. Goat Island is a nice shore dive. You also have a charter running out of the nearby town of Leigh, Goat Island Dive.... I haven't dived with them for a while, but they used to run regular night dive trips to Leigh Reef and other spots close to shore.

In terms of wrecks, the Rainbow Warrior is a nice dive but it's small. One dive is really enough to see the whole of the wreck. I'd probably recommend Paihia Dive for the RW. Craig who owns it is a member of SB and will be along shortly, I expect. He runs a good day out and you'll have a blast.

The Canterbury is a much more engaging/extensive wreck. I'd probably suggest using Northland Dive for the Canterbury and also accommodation - staying with Shane and Julia is like going home. They are just very welcoming and run great dive days as well.

You can also look at HMNZS Waikato which is accessibly out of Tutukaka. My preference would be Dive! Tutukaka who are very well set up for visiting divers. The Waikato is a sister ship of the Canterbury - but it's still worth diving both. You could also take a day at the Poor Knights as well.

Ideally, the Mikhail Lermontov would be on the list - but as it's in the South Island it may just not fit in with your plans.

If you want more info, feel free to drop me a PM. I might also be out diving some of those days so if you want a local guide then give me a shout. Quite happy to make Auckland (non-diving) recommendations as well so you can make the most of your time here.

Great diving end of May beginning of June. still 17-18 degrees and settled weather. As Andy said the Rainbow Warrior is a small wreck, but well worth a look. Loads of fish life and covered in jewel anemones, and a story that can't be beat. The Canterbury is developing into an amazing wreck. Loads to get into and see. Check out these photos.http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=283337&id=528541372

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips and help.

Regarding the RW is there anything else that is doable and worth to combine for a two/three dive day?

Unfortunatly the Lermontov is a bit too far off for this trip, but I might be back in Nov/Dec so might focus on that one next time around.

Amazing pictures BTW!

After the Rainbow Warrior dive, you'll be taken to a dive somewhere else around the Cavalli Islands. We went to Kaitirehe rock, a few hundred meters off the mainland side of the largest island, and I was genuinely impressed by both the visibility and fish life considering how close it is to the mainland. I thought it would be a let down after the Warrior (amazing dive!) but it wasn't. Apparently it only gets better the further offshore you go and there are a number of other named dive sites all within a few km of the Warrior.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom