Diving around Wellington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in the Wellington area some time in March next year and hope to get some diving in. My timeframe is around a week. Is there good diving near Wellington, or should I invest the time and fly up to the Poor Knights for a few days?

This shop will see you right for some local Wellington Diving Welcome to DIVE WELLINGTON | Splash Gordon
There is plenty of shore diving, Kapiti Island, an old Frigate and various other small wrecks dotted around the coast. The Mikhail Lermontov is another great trip from Wellington.

Great, thanks. If anyone is interested in going diving together, I will be in Wellington from Mar 15 - Mar 17. Still contemplating whether I should spend the extra money and go dive the Lermontov...

The Lermontov is an amazing wreck but there's quite a bit of travelling from Wellington to get to it. Kapiti Island is very nice and if the wind is right there's a lot of nice shore diving in the marine reserve. The frigate is in the reserve but has been pretty smashed up. It's still a good dive but if you've done a number of intact wrecks you might be underwhelmed by it. I also recommend Dive Wellington as the place to go to.

What diving is it you are looking for? If you want a bit of shore diving in the marine reserve then, yep, hit up Dive Wellie. If it's wrecks you want go to the Lermi.

Wellington has some real nice old wrecks with nothing much to get inside, but he experience is fun, get the dive Wellie boat out on charter to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom