Magic filters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divv

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm brand new to this board.
I was wondering, has anyone here tried out the Magic Filters mentioned in the UWPMag?
They seem like a good idea but hugely overpriced for a few bits of plastic?
Cheers
Di

divv:
Hi all. I'm brand new to this board.
I was wondering, has anyone here tried out the Magic Filters mentioned in the UWPMag?
They seem like a good idea but hugely overpriced for a few bits of plastic?
Cheers
Di

I'm not familiar with the filters, but in general what you would need UW would likely end up costing you a couple of stops of light. I personally would forget the filters, and use post processing, and UW strobes to keep the reds in the image...red...

Magic is hardly the only company that makes UW filters. Here are some that are of much higher quality, however the price is also much higher. You can like find some Kodak Wratten gel filters that would do the same thing at a MUCH lower price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s=t&shs=underwater+filter&image.x=0&image.y=0

Any of these filters are going to cost you at least one stop of light, and more likely 2-3 stops.

Thanks guys.
Ron, as dbh says, these are apparently designed to be used without strobes. They filter out blues and greens apparently, and are used in conjunction with white balance UW.
dbh - are you referring to the Rand McMeins pic?
Regards
Di

divv:
Thanks guys.
Ron, as dbh says, these are apparently designed to be used without strobes. They filter out blues and greens apparently, and are used in conjunction with white balance UW.
dbh - are you referring to the Rand McMeins pic?
Regards
Di

I'm aware of what they do which is why I pointed out that they cost a couple stops of light, provided links to other manufactures, and suggested a wratten filter... I'd think a Kodak Wratten #24, or #25 (which is basically red) would likely work. Both the #24 and #25 filter out blue and green light while enhancing red, which is what a red filter does.

The Kodak gel filters run about $25 for a 3x3" filter that would make about 6-9 filters based on the Magic gels... The Magic filters run over $50 for a set up three small filters.. IMO rather overpriced for a gel filter.

(Blush)
Somehow I didn't read the whole of your first post Ron, SORRY.
You confirm much of my suspicions, that (a) overpriced and (b) other filters could do the same!
Thanks for the suggestions of which ones!

Yes, Dr Alexander Mustard, right? I bought one but haven't used it because you have to White Balance first and lets just say I am not there yet. I was very impressed with the pics of the results. I guess you don't use it at depth with a flash, so I thought it was best with lots of ambient light under 40 ft or so.... I thought it was like 50 dollars.

RonFrank:
I'm not familiar with the filters, but in general what you would need UW would likely end up costing you a couple of stops of light. I personally would forget the filters, and use post processing, and UW strobes to keep the reds in the image...red...

Magic is hardly the only company that makes UW filters. Here are some that are of much higher quality, however the price is also much higher. You can like find some Kodak Wratten gel filters that would do the same thing at a MUCH lower price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s=t&shs=underwater+filter&image.x=0&image.y=0

Any of these filters are going to cost you at least one stop of light, and more likely 2-3 stops.

Ron, you may want to research the Magic Filters before you make such comments.

Dave

I own and have used Magic filters and have played with them several occasions. I find them effective in when shooting wide angle, in bright water but when there may be a lot of particles that would result in backscatter. For me they have worked very well. Remember these are not off the shelf items, they were designed specifically with divers in mind. As their sites states it is not to give you a perfect picture out of the camera but one with more potential to edit.

dbh:
Ron, you may want to research the Magic Filters before you make such comments.

Dave

K, I've looked at their site, read what they have to say. Please point out any errors I made in my comments? They are basically a gel filter, red/orange in color, and nothing new that I can see from many other manufactures of similar filters except they seem rather expensive for throw away gel filters.

Am I missing something about these filters? Maybe the magic :D

Comments?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom