Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Nikon 300s

Registered

Studying for Dive Master

Dives
    50 - 99

Nikon 300s

ok I want to buy this camera to take clean shots
    underwater

2 questions whats the best money can buy for the housing?
    I was looking at ikeite

and second question what strobes do you guys recommend? for this camera
    They call it wet pixel but my Apple Computer never fry's
    ----------------------------------------------
    Sea Doo GTI VS SUPERCHARGED
    Sea Doo EXPLORER DPV
    TUSA 430 REGS

dbh
    ScubaBoard Contributor

is winning!

If I had that camera I would house it in a Nauticam and use two Inon Z-240 strobes fired via fiber optics.

My $0.02

Dave
    Nikon D7000, Inon Z240 (2), Nauticam http://reefphoto.com

http://www.myunderwaterworld.com

mjh
    Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Ahhhh if money is no object....You get into what is better Mercedes, BMW, Aston Martin world?

Many consider Seacam and Subal to be the best housings. Nauticam is getting excellent reviews but is a fairly new player. Those who love electronic controls swear by Light and Motion but like most sports cars when you have a problem it tends to be big and not easy for the avg person to fix.

With strobes the new issue is your ability to shoot HD video. Ikelite is the first out with a strobe that can work to shoot stills and light for video. Others will soon follow. Might be 6mths-1yr before there are more integrated options. Otherwise if you want to do both on one dive you have to have 2strobes and 1-2 video lights all on your camera.

Otherwise with strobes main factors are Power/Size/Color spectrum. You like wide angle, the more powerful the strobe the better. Subtronic, Hartenberger and Seacam are considered the top of the line and their prices show it. Each make excellent mid and small strobes for all around and macro shooting.

Inon, Ikelite and Sea & Sea would be the next tier. Inon IMHO has the best "all around" strobes but can't compete with the above for major WA. FYI I do have a set of Inon D2000s and Subtronic Novas. I love the Subtronics for Med-Wide Angle, to my eye the more blue light is truer to what I see underwater. But they are 4x the size of the Inons. The Inons are great for med-macro and to date have been trouble free. BUT if I had the money I would go with all Subtronic.

Good luck!

Registered

Studying for Dive Master

Dives
    50 - 99
    thanks
    They call it wet pixel but my Apple Computer never fry's
    ----------------------------------------------
    Sea Doo GTI VS SUPERCHARGED
    Sea Doo EXPLORER DPV
    TUSA 430 REGS

Registered