Opinions on Nikkor 85 mm Micro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divengolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in the process of moving from a P&S (P5100) to a SLR. Most SLR shooters that I have dove with use a 60mm macro and then maybe a 105mm macro lenses. I'm trying to minimize my cash outlay at this stage and am wondering if buying the 85mm is a smart move rather than getting a 60 now and then buying a 105 later.

I'm buying mostly used stuff, but may have to pony up for a new 85 since there are very few on the used market. Also the 85 is about half the cost of the 105.

I'm looking at AF-S lenses only and have an Aquatica housing and a D70. I know it's old, but it was laying around the house unused for several months. And the housing was real cheap as well.

>> If buying the 85mm is a smart move rather than getting a 60 now and then buying a 105 later.

buying an 85mm does not equal owning a 60mm + 105mm. People own a 60mm and a 105mm because they are different focal lengths and do different things. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with getting an 85mm but eventually you may want the advantage of a longer or shorter focal length for different subjects.

Underwater macro lens comparison
Lens choice and composition

I have a Micro Nikkor 105mm and feel no need for a 60mm.
The 105mm is sometimes difficoult to handle in surge but i guess
thet the 600mm is not so much easier.
The new Micro Nikkor 85mm VR may be a nice compromise between
both focal lenghts.
The biggest backdraw may be that the autofocus is "nervous" as the 105mm VR,
making it almost useless under water.
I would like to try how it is...

Chris

Dont know what mean by "nervous" but I have no problems with my 60mm and my 105mm when used with a decent focusing light. I find the 60mm is alot easier to use in surge over the 105mm as it focuses so quick and there isnt the need to search through the viewfinder for your subject.

i find the 60mm better for my macro shots as the subjects like Nudibranchs and shrimp don't move or not afraid if you approach closely. I find the 60mm more flexible as you can back up and get portrait shots on larger sunjects like turtles and bigger fish.
I really use the 105 when I need that longer distance between the lens and the subject for critters which are shy.

In the end of the day it comes down to what and where you shooting. If you dont need the distance between the subject go for the 60mm but if you need the distance then the 105mm. I think the 85mm will not be an answer to replace both lenses.

Regards Mark

AussieByron,
maybe "nervous" was not the exactly description and i would like to clarify that i am/was talking about the new Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED.

This lens is without any doubt a excellent lens with a superb optical quality and a very fast autofocus.
I and almost everyone i know find the autofocus too fast, focussing often on the wrong subject and hunting endless around. This is especially true for persons (like me) having the older 105mm without VR what is much slower but less "nervous".
Also i/we find that the autofocus on the new 105mm VR is not so reliable as using the non VR lens, but this can be remedied with a focus light.
Most of the people i know would like to sell the 105mmVR and buy the old one, but to find a old 105mm is almost a "mission impossible" due the high demand.

Chris

I purchased the new 105VR because AF is faster & it has AF/M (AF with manual over ride). AF does hunt more in low light, so a focus light is required more than with the old 105. When you're having trouble focusing on a subject (AF is hunting), focus on something else with more contrast at the same distance, then recompose for your subject. AF will pick up your target much easier then. If necessary use the instant MF available on the 105VR. No special ports required. My old 105 is resting in the closet.

AussieByron,
maybe "nervous" was not the exactly description and i would like to clarify that i am/was talking about the new Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED.

This lens is without any doubt a excellent lens with a superb optical quality and a very fast autofocus.
I and almost everyone i know find the autofocus too fast, focussing often on the wrong subject and hunting endless around. This is especially true for persons (like me) having the older 105mm without VR what is much slower but less "nervous".
Also i/we find that the autofocus on the new 105mm VR is not so reliable as using the non VR lens, but this can be remedied with a focus light.
Most of the people i know would like to sell the 105mmVR and buy the old one, but to find a old 105mm is almost a "mission impossible" due the high demand.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry I havnt used the 105mm VR as my older 105mm does the job when I rarely use it.

Does the 105mm VR have a problem when used with spot metering and a decent focus light/s? Can't see the the AF focusing on the wrong subject when in spot meter?????

Regards Mark

I purchased the new 105VR because AF is faster & it has AF/M (AF with manual over ride). AF does hunt more in low light, so a focus light is required more than with the old 105. When you're having trouble focusing on a subject (AF is hunting), focus on something else with more contrast at the same distance, then recompose for your subject. AF will pick up your target much easier then. If necessary use the instant MF available on the 105VR. No special ports required. My old 105 is resting in the closet.

But wouldnt you need a manual focus port to use the manual over ride in AF?

Regards Mark

AussieByron,
it focuses on plancton, fish swimming by, bubbles and so on in any AF setting.
Some people may don't have problems with that "nervous" hunting,
but i prefer the old type what is not imune to hunting as well,
but the movement is much, much slower.
Using a focus light will help a bit but the lens is still "nervous".
In Europe the 105mm VR was first a big succcess by the underwater photographer but turnd quick to a big disappointment because if this issue. As i said, the lens itself is a excellent lens, but underwater she can bother.

Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
Camera Labs :: View topic - Nikon Nikkor AF-S VR Micro 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR vs. Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom