DSLR - Nikon vs. Canon Do you have an opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba307

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I’m looking at making a change from an Olympus C5050 in an Ike TTL housing, with an Inon WAL and a DS125 to a DSRL. I plan on going somewhat mid range around $1,600 for the camera, unless there is a good reason to go up from there. It seems like the dominant players in the UW DSRL world are Nikon and Canon. Is there any particular reason for choosing a Nikon over a Canon or a Canon over a Nikon? What about lenses?

I also want to add a second strobe, either another Ike, maybe a DS161-movie to take advantage of the HD video capabilities of the new camera, or should I also look at changing strobes?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

While I don't know a lot about cameras I do know there are two big differences. The Nikon has better "glass" Their lenses are superior.

But Cannon cameras are historically more reliable.

When I told my dive buddy about that he bought a cannon Xsi.

As long as you don't go for the Nikon D7000 you can get the new camera for under $1K. In Nikon, the 4 didgit number behind the D are the pro models. I have a D80 that is perfect. The D90 is the current model and it shoots video.

For underwater photography both cameras won't work on manual. You must at least set the shutter speed if you are in clear water. If you are in murkey water or it's night time, you need to set both the shutter speed and the Fstop.

Good luck. I came from the film world so the Fstop and shutter speed were no problem, once I realized I had to set them.

Thank you!

Mike

As long as you don't go for the Nikon D7000 you can get the new camera for under $1K. In Nikon, the 4 didgit number behind the D are the pro models.
Actually, the D7000 is a consumer model with a DX sensor. The full-frame D700 is the pro model.

Actually, the D7000 is a consumer model with a DX sensor. The full-frame D700 is the pro model.

This is getting sad. Neither the D7000 nor the D700 is a "pro" model. The pro digital bodies were/are: D1, D2, D3 (different variants).

For the most part:

DX = pro (that's D and a digit, not "DX" as in cropped sensor)
DXX = older consumer
DXXX = prosumer
DXXXX = newer consumer

As to the OP, both those manufacturers make fine cameras and lenses. Pick one based on the glass you like and the feature sets you want / can afford.

This is getting sad. Neither the D7000 nor the D700 is a "pro" model. The pro digital bodies were/are: D1, D2, D3 (different variants).

For the most part:

DX = pro (that's D and a digit, not "DX" as in cropped sensor)
DXX = older consumer
DXXX = prosumer
DXXXX = newer consumer

As to the OP, both those manufacturers make fine cameras and lenses. Pick one based on the glass you like and the feature sets you want / can afford.

Nikon D700 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Reality is both brands are excellent. No offense but we photographers tend to be the limiting factor, lol. As mentioned Nikon has been "known" for their lenses and Canon for more bodies. You can't go wrong with either.

What you have to ask yourself is do you shoot more land or underwater shots? Many things important to dryland photogs are of less importance underwater, frames per seconds, ergonomics, weight, etc.... Now throw into that how important is shooting HD video to you? Given your budget you are looking at a "prosumer" (sp) body. Pro bodies are three to five times your budget.

Right now the Nikon the D7000 is in your budget and a lot of camera for the money. I just bought one to replace my D200. But like all tech something "better" is always coming out.

For lenses many Nikon shooters seem to like: Tokina 10-17mm for WA, the Sigma 17-70mm for general shooting, the Nikon 60mm & 105mm for macro. Of course there are many other great lenses with their advocates.

Strobes like Sea & Sea, Inon, and Ikelite are tried and true. Again really can't go wrong with any of them. IMHO buy the most powerful strobes you can afford.

I have recently started the transition from Film to Digital. I shot (almost) exclusively Canon film cameras.

When I went looking for a Digital replacement for my Canon A1, I found that my older lenses would not mount on the Canon Digital cameras.

I chose Nikon digital because nikon has not changed the lens mount for many years and therfore I believe that my Nikon lenses will mount on any future Nikon camera I may buy.

No offense but we photographers tend to be the limiting factor

Dude, you got that right!

We have Nikons and Canons at work and there's jaw-dropping pictures from both makes. I shoot Nikon but only because that's what I've been doing for the last 30 years.

When I moved to SLRs for underwater photography after owning a Nikonos II and two Nik Vs, my choice was Nikon to replace my Pentax MXs as there was no housing available for the Pentaxs.

Fortunately as already mentioned all my old Nikkor lenses for film cameras fit the newer DSLRs.

Current choice for me if starting over again would be either the D90, D300 or if I could afford it the D700.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom