Nikon Coolpix s9500 - Any Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just returned from a dive trip where I met an individual who was using a Nikon s9500 camera & Ikelite housing light & strobe.
I saw a few pics and video he took... the quality was much better than the Sea & See DX 1G that I've been using . . .

It's time for a new camera . . .

While I only saw a few images and one video clip, I liked what I saw . . .

Any opinions on the Nikon s9500?????????????

the current Nikon P&S cameras do not seem to be on anyones radar. None of the "best of 2014" reviews I have seen include any Nikon P&S. So you may not get much feedback.

I suggest you pm some of the more active/knowledgable members here to see of they have an opinion why (interceptor121 maybe?). I am also curious, so please share anything you learn. The only thing I can think of is lack of housing selection.

can you provide more inormation about "better quality" over your current rig?

I currently have a DX1G and have just recently started the journey of looking for a replacement. The only short coming is I want better (larger) super macro capabilities. I recently converted it to a wired strobe setup so that I can shoot totally manual and greatly increase the frame rate in jpeg. This change worked out very well.

---------- Post added April 20th, 2014 at 11:46 AM ----------

Just did a quick google on the s9500. It appears to be a "happy snap" camera with no manual / raw ability. This puts it in a different category than your current camera - and is likely why there is very little info available as it is not considered a "serious" camera.

It is likely great at what it is capable of, but it's capabilities are very limited. I carry a backup happy snap automatic camera in my bcd pocket (canon elph) just in case. It takes great pictures in a few limited scenarios. But it can not take most of the pictures I go for with my DX1G as I make use of manual capabilities.

If your interest lies within the cameras sweet spot, then it will be fine. If you are more interested in manual, super macro, wide angle, low light or other more advanced scenarios, then you will likely find it lacking.

I don't know about the 9500 - I have two Coolpix aw100 - one I bought several years ago before I took SCUBA lessons it is rated to go down about 30' without any housing - I bought a newer one a couple years ago when husband and I decided to take SCUBA lessons - same camera but it is rated to go to about 60' without a housing. They were both great and working well - until last weekend when we went to a dive lake - I had the newer one turned it on and took a couple photos on the surface then we descended to about 20' and swam out - when we found a sunken airplane I took my camera out but it wouldn't come on - later realized it will come on but the LCD screen had gone out - so it takes photos but the screen is useless. I found a forum on line where people were complaining about that - seems I was pretty lucky - many of them had the LCD screen go out the very first time they tried to use the camera.

Ok - strange thing - the LCD screen started working again - we didn't do anything - brought the camera home and "parked" it on a shelf - husband went to steal the floating strap off it for a new camera we bought and couldn't remember which Coolpix had quit working - he ended up turning on both of them and they both worked - weird! Not sure how long this will last though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom