Nikon AW1 Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zaf88

Contributor
Reaction score
DOes anyone have this camera? I am curious about the 49 feet depth rating. if you go slightly deeper is it a flood risk or you can use the buttons?

Most of my diving is 40 - 65 feet so this is sort of in the range

I watched the video on amazon and this looks great. I have the AW100 which I love but I have always found the depth limit limiting. If you stay under 50 feet you should be good.

I watched the video on amazon and this looks great. I have the AW100 which I love but I have always found the depth limit limiting. If you stay under 50 feet you should be good.

im curious if anyone has gone below that 50 foot mark. obviously nikon is very conservative with the depth numbers so there must be some cushion in place. if i brought it down to 60 or 65 i wonder what would happen

I took mine to 88ft and the screen cut out. Once I got to shore, it came back on. A few water droplets were on my SD card. The camera still works but there is a green dot on my LCD screen.

I took mine to 88ft and the screen cut out. Once I got to shore, it came back on. A few water droplets were on my SD card. The camera still works but there is a green dot on my LCD screen.

great info. this is for your aw100 correct? the depth rating for that is 33 feet. u almost tripled the depth. nice. i think going to 60 should be fine but would love to have confirmation

Yes, the aw100. The 110 is the newer one that goes 60 feet. They look the same so maybe the were just more conservative with the AW100

Hi,
I took my brand new AW1+zoom for snorchling down to 3m - 1 hour in the water. There was condensation on the display from inside, water drops in the battery area and a water drop under the front lens from inside.
I dryer everything, sent it to Nikon. They didn't even find a fault but exchanged the lens.
So I am quit doubtful that this camera is really made for diving.
In earlier times I had a Nikonos V which I took maybe for 50 dives and never ever had any water inside.
Sizewise the camera is really a joy.

For diving I now plan to rather get a housing - even for a RX100 or a m43 camera.

The other thing is that the AW1 wide-angle is not really wide - 28mm FOV.
Also no real Macro options.

I will probably use the AW1 for fun images in the pool and on the beach with the kids, but I am not sure its a diver camera.
I wish for a digital Nikonos with good AF in reasonable size and would pay the double than an for the AW1.

I just purchashed this camera and a back-up to my DSLR U/W Kit. I am heading to Belize next week to give it a go. I bought the Kit with the extra lens.

They will be releasing the new Nikon 1 SB-N10 Speedlight Nikon SB-N10 Underwater Speedlight Flash for Nikon 1 3773 B&H that can be used with the 1 AW-1 using the Fiber Optic Cable Adapter with it Nikon SR-N10A Underwater Fiber-Optic Cable Adapter 3784 B&H (in a few weeks):clapping:

Oi! When you add it all up without the camera... The Strobe, Arm, Fiber-Optic Adapter, Fiber Optic Cable... turns out to be almost 2x the price of the camera...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom