First hand accounts of Katrina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCDiver1

Ductus Exemplo
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
First, this is my recollection of a conversation i had tonite with a good friend. We worked for the same hospital for about 8 years and i know him well. His views are very credible as he was in the middle of the poo storm that was Katrina. This isn't meant to demean or underscore anyones experiences over any others but rather is my attempt to pass along what was communicated to me. Any errors or ommisions in this are my own. I pray for all directly or indirectly involved in this conflagration.

This person is (was) the CEO of a hospital in St Bernard Parish. His house is in the New Orleans parish and near as he can figure is a total loss. Can't really tell from satellite photos but he figures its under about 14' of water still today. His roof is the only part which is visable. We didn't discuss time frames etc of occurances as he is still very shook up. He basically lost his home, and his job but the important part, him and his family, escaped without physical harm. He is back here in my town, where he used to work. Friends have put him up until he figures out what to do.

His first comment was about his employees at the hospital. He had major kudos to the Docs, support staff and especially the nurses, who risked life and limb to take care of their patients for several days after the cane and flood. The only marginal relief from the heat and humidity was on the roof of their hospital. The staff worked inside, 24/7, to keep all non-evacuated patients alive and as comfortable as possible without regard to their own dire & unknown personal situations. Many of the more ambulatory patients were moved before the floods really took hold but the first two floor basically ended up underwater. These floors contained many key portions and functions of the hospital. ER, ICU, OR suites, materials management and more importantly the generators were underwater so no power for A/C etc was available. After several days of this, Chinooks (big National Guard helos) showed up without notice and evacuated the remaining patients and personnel. He was on the last one out, still wondering if his family was okay. A better example of leadership from the front i can't think of right now. I am really proud of him and hope his world takes a better turn real soon.

Next, he felt very compelled to discuss his views of what went wrong in this whole CF. On the bottom of his "blame list" if you want to call it that, is the federal government. Remember, this is the CEO of a major hospital in the middle of this poo storm. He was responsible for all the patients & employees in the place. Not a light burden by any stretch of the imagination. Anyway, he feels that local & state gov carry a much greater burden of any responsibility for the way things came down than the fed. A much different picture than is currently being projected by our national media. An interesting observation to say the least. I can't really speak to his reasons as he didn't really expand on them but i for one will take his views over most of the stuff i have seen in the media. He lived it, they didn't.

Lastly, he is pretty sure his hospital is a total loss and won't be rebuilt or repaired. Still to early to tell on that but initial estimates confirm his suspicions. The main point is he couldn't talk enough about his people who persevered to minimize loss of life at risk of their own. Something that should be concentrated on much harder right now than pursuing the blame game. The human spirit is alive and well in the South today. A good thing for all to remember.

Semper Fi

Not sure how to spell it but Shellmet or Chellmet .... something like that.

Chalmette Medical Center most likely. Been there before.

I'm going to be going back to New Orleans one way or another for Christmas. If the city of New Orleans is inhabitible/tourable by then, it's going to be extremely surreal to drive around and look at the ruins of my schools, the houses I grew up in, the stores and malls I hung out at.. I still can't wrap my head around it. Total destruction of Orleans and St Bernard..

jonnythan:
Total destruction of Orleans and St Bernard..

Thats gotta be it. Not many things built better than hospitals out there so it doesn't look good. He said they just opened a new wing this summer, which is now a total loss. Not good, bad mojo all around.

:sweep:

(new smilies.. huh)

Yeah, St Bernard parish has basically no levee protection so it's much worse off than Orleans or Jefferson. All accounts say that the entire parish was completely destroyed by the time Katrina was done passing over. Orleans, by contrast, was in pretty good shape Tuesday morning once Katrina was gone.. then the levees started to break and that was that.

Ugh, it's so sad. My family is chillin with family and friends across southern LA.

I'm tending to agree about the 'blame game'... the media is focusing on the feds, mostly because people are comfortable blaming a large, detached, incompetent federal bureaucracy. But the more facts I read the more the state and local governments really dropped the ball when it comes to coordinating and requesting help..

His house is in New Orleans parish. The only thing he knows about it for sure is the roof is still showing on satellite photos. Thats about it. I can only imagine what these folks are going through.

When my son returned to Biloxi for the first time he said that it was totally weird that you can't find familiar places because there are no landmarks. It took him almost an hour to find Grandma Nan's house that he had been to a thousand times. He was totally freaked.

jonnythan:

I'm going to be going back to New Orleans one way or another for Christmas. If the city of New Orleans is inhabitible/tourable by then, it's going to be extremely surreal to drive around and look at the ruins of my schools, the houses I grew up in, the stores and malls I hung out at.. I still can't wrap my head around it. Total destruction of Orleans and St Bernard..

thanks for the story. Kudos to the med staff. To suddenly hear the Chinook helicopters hovering above must have been a complete surprise.

Somehow I am not surprised that what you heard Jon is the total opposite of what the media portrays. Of course the media is ALWAYS right and unbiased. :severesarcasm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom