Non diving scary moments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Understand I was born in raised in Kentucky, growing up out in the "country". So, I have seen and done a lot of crazy things, one of which was finding and catching various species of snakes. Never was I afraid. The past 20 years I had been living the the greater LA metro area and have come in contact with a couple of bears, caught a fox, a wolf and a coyote and have seen and played golf around rattlesnakes. Plus I have been outside the cage while diving with sharks. None of this "scared" the s$$t out of me.

Last night while watering the lawn with the garden hose I had "a close encounter" with a slippery slivery slimey snake. Mind you, it was only about a 4 foot black snake but it caughtme off guard. I went to pick the hose up (black naturally) to put it away when in my grasps was not just the hose but this little reptile as well. Nough to scare the "puddin" outof ya.

A word to the wise (and idiots like me) look at where you are sticking your hands before you do it. :D

I hate it when things like that sneak up on you.

Chad

I guess .. While we are on the subject I would like to let you all know what happened to me just 2 days ago. I had just got home from work and I was walking down the hall to our bedroom to let the dog out (we have a ranch 1 story and our bedroom is the last room on the left.) On the way there I have to pass the living room opening. I had the drapes closed in that room (it was a hot day and we had the central AC on)

Just as I walk past the opening to the living room I see in the corner of my eye something swoop right towards me. Now I freak and take off down the hall screaming/yelling (Yes I know I am a man, but god sometimes we can get freaked too). I turn around and notice that whatever it was it didn't follow me. So I compose myself (took all of .5sec) Headed back down the hall and did a "Slice the Pie" move around the opening ........ And what I see next was pretty funny. One of our cats was sitting on the couch arm and swooping about 2 inches from his head was a baby bat!! The same bat that looked to have the wingspan of 6 feet. Tiger, the cat, didn't even swat, run, or do what cats do. He seemed to just be ignoring it and looking at me like I was nuts to run.

Now I am not afraid of bats all the much, but I did not expect that. Unfortunately we had to call a pest remover and had the bat removed (after finding it in the duct work for the AC, weird) and tested for rabies. We have yet to get the tests back and I hope they come back negative as I hate needles more then anything and those rabies shots hurt bad, so I am told.

Last night, 5:00 am my daughters pet rat ate itself out of it's cage and woke me up by running across the bed. From a sound sleep to ......

So..... art-chick, you need another pet? I don't think that this one is currently living in what you would term a healthy environment. If you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by landlocked
Last night, 5:00 am my daughters pet rat ate itself out of it's cage and woke me up by running across the bed. From a sound sleep to ......

What kind of cage was it in???? That's not just a rat, it sounds like SuperRat. :D

The three scariest moments I can think of off the top of my head are all skiing related, and curiously enough all related to moguls.

Story 1)
Tuckermans Ravine [Mount Washington]. A little introduction to those that don't know Tuckermans Ravine. Mt. Washington is the tallest mountain in the Northeast US, and where the strongest recorded winds in the US have been. Tuckermans is a ravine on the side, about a 3 1/2 mile hike up the mountain.

I spent a good hour and a half working my way up the left chute with a friend of mine. We finally got to the top, rested a bit, and headed down. I was going just fine through the bumps, but my speed control is a little lacking when in bumps, as well as my stopping skill. I decided I was going a little too fast coming into the chute and my legs were starting to burn pretty fierce, so I decided I'd stop, take a break, and then finish the run into the bowl.

I turned against the fall-line in an attempt to slow down, but it was a little steeper than I expected, and I wasn't slowing down too much. I looked up, and saw the cliff face coming straight at me. Realizing that stopping basically meant smashing head on into granite, I made a decision to lift my left leg, and jam it down to lock in the best GS racing turn I could muster. As I flew by about a foot from the cliff my brain was trying to figure out how to get down if I smashed the wall, or even blew my knee out making the turn.

Story 2)

Devil's Fiddle, Killington. It was spring skiing, a few dirt patches here and there. Cruising down, my buddy is up ahead [same buddy as story 1]. He stops, looks back, and yells something. I can't quite figure out what he's saying, and I look up ahead. I see a patch of rocks coming up... rocks being on the top of the cliff midway down [skiiers left of the trail]. Once again we resort to my wonderful bumps stopping ability...

In a panic I guess I sat back on my skis a little bit. I ended up launching off a mogul, with my feet quickly orienting themselves above my head. Not wanting to land on the rocks on my head, I threw my head back and my feet forward.

Next thing I know, the tails of my skis hit the snow, my legs went to jello, and I came down on my side and slid to the top of the cliff.

My friend, on repetitive queries to ascertain my status, was responded to with a consistant 6 word response... "I DID A F**KING BACKFLIP!". "Yea, I know you did, but are you ok". "OK? DUDE... I DID A ..." you get the picture.

Never skiied Devil's Fiddle again.

Story #3

Sunday River, spring skiing in June. Been skiing pretty well that day, and by this time I had gotten much better at actually stopping in bumps. The steepest section was the first section, and we had found an absolutely incredible line to buzz down. My buddy went down first [same buddy BTW], I headed down second. Half way down that section, I must have let my legs get a little too relaxed, because next thing I knew I heard a pop behind me, and it launched me back forward. I finished up the section and stopped to try and figure out what happened...

As I ran through it in my mind, my vision started to get hazy, and I laid down. I continued to rewind the mental tape and I figured out what happend. I fell back, bounced off a mogul and came back up on my skis to finish the section. I hit the back of my right shoulder on the mogul, thus making the pop.

By this time the fainting feeling cleared up, and the black flies were driving me nuts so I got up to continue down. My right arm was in so much pain that I couldn't move it much at all, and I just worked my way down to the bottom and went to ski patrol.

"You pulled a muscle... here's a sling".

I decided to hit the hospital on my way home.

"You pulled a muscle, wear this sling for 3 days".

4 days later, talking on the phone laying on my bed. Laying on my right side with my head on my hand, propped up on my elbow, I leaned over to hang the phone up on the floor. My elbow slid, and "POP". That time I knew _exactly_ what happened, as the recoil of my body caused my shoulder to pop back into place.

16 dislocations and an inline skating career later... I had surgery to repair it. It's popped out once since then.

Lying there trying to figure out what was wrong with me, was probably one of the scariest moments of my life...

I know what you mean, I have had two very scary times come my way.... you would think after I divorced the first one I would have learned :eek:ut:

Rich :mean:

But first, he must go to a pet psychic to see if he is spiritually fit to live with a passive-aggressive tortoise, 3 iguanas with sibling rivalry issues, a disabled elderly chicken and her vain young tormentors, 2 lizards in an inter-species relationship, and 8 overpriviledged pigeons, one who believes that he is the Holy Spirit (he's white, you know.) If this rat is ready for a karmic cleansing, let me know so I can hire a feng shui expert to show me where to put his designer Habitrail.

:wink:

chepar once bubbled...

What kind of cage was it in???? That's not just a rat, it sounds like SuperRat. :D
Obviously not a good one. The other two rats however, have never managed to escape. Super Rat was out again last night. Didn't bother me. I had baracaded the bedroom door in anticipation. (It is my hope that the owner of the rat will assume some responsibility here soon.) I did get awakened when the older daughter started yelling at the younger rat owner at about six this morning. :D Oh yeah. What goes around comes around. I suspect the young lady might have the problem worked out by this evening. =-) If not, Art.Chick may be receiving a new house guest via UPS?

This offers no tales of physical danger but is a cautionary tale for all......

I had a student in my form, quite a bright lad (but not bright enough as you will soon see)

He was flunking most of his classes and not getting his homework done and his teachers were stressing. So said student and I (he was 15) sat down for a talk and I found that he was dropping from A's to E's because he was dedicating his evenings to learning a new language.

Very noble I thought, until I found out that he was learning...

KLINGON!

He is now working for a VERY prestigious barristers......... Me, I still teach. Does anyone know where I can get Lingua Klingon from??????????????

Booga

Back
Top Bottom