And now for something completely different

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tchil01

Reaction score
I started diving a couple of years ago after taking the kids to Key West on spring break. While there I bought the kids mask and snorkels and ended up taking over one set myself. It was unbelievable just snorkeling around off the beach watching the fish and conch in the clear water.

The other thing from this vacation that mesmerized me was all of the sailboats. They were so beautiful and graceful. Growing up in Indiana, I never had a true appreciation for them even after living on the East Coast for the last 20+ years.

OK, when I came home from that vacation I decided that I was going to either take diving or sailing lessons. Well, the dive shop was closer then the marina, and I thought at the time diving would be cheaper then sailing (if I had only known) so I ended up getting certified and fell in love with our sport.

This weekend I am going to get to fulfill the other part of my dream from that vacation. We are going down to Annapolis for the long weekend and taking sailing lessons. There is an ASA school that is offering a holiday weekend, three days for the price of two, basic sailing course. I am very excited.

Well, any advice out there for the future sailor? I know one of the hardest parts of the weekend will be to restrain myself from doing a backroll into the water. I’m being good though and leaving the dive gear at home, but hey, a snorkel and mask wouldn’t hurt, would they? :rolleyes:

Ty

Jibe... he means jibe. Or come about. (Tacking does involve coming about, so Wreckwriter's advice is not without merit, but most of the time tacking is spent "on the tack" rather than coming about) When "on a tack," especially in a smaller boat, it's best not to sit on the lee gunnel.
Have fun...
Rick :) :) :)

Brush up on your knotology, oh and don't forget the drain plug, make sure it is in place that is!

:wink:

ok, ok, so I'm not quite up on my blow-boat terminology! I was a power boat captain!

Tom

really it will...
gun.nel (n) alt. sp. of GUNWALE
Webster's 1999
Rick :)
p.s. "Gunwhale" I couldn't find...

ASA schools are usually top-notch, and I would expect a school in the competitive Annapolis area would be no exception.

I belong to a "charter club", which is affiliated with an ASA school, Bay Area Sailing (Houston area). Although I haven't had any ASA classes, I see them going out almost every weekend and often speak to both the students and instructors. I have been impressed enough that I am considering their Advanced Coastal Cruising Class myself, even though I have been sailing for nearly 20 years. Just by talking to an instructor, I learned new ways of doing things (man overboard drills, for example) and much that I did not know how to do properly (parachute anchors).

As for suggestions on the class:

-Bring sunscreen, "croakie" or lanyard equipped sunglasses, and a hat which you can tie to your head or one that has a lanyard (I like the DAN "Foreign Legion" hat with the neck cloth). If you wear deck shoes, lace them tight so you don't "run out of them". If you are buying decks, get a pair of the "tennis shoe" type lace-up with drain scuppers,as they are more "athletic" and better for small boat sailing.

-Take a good attitude. Just as in diving class, you should listen closely and question anything you don't understand.

-If you are somewhat familiar with the general setup of a sailboat (halyards, sheets, lines, etc.), make sure you take a look at your training boat and become familiar with the general layout before the class begins. The instructor will go over everything, but by taking an earlier look at things, you might have questions that wouldn't come to mind if this was you first look at the boat.

-Take seasickness meds, if you need them.

-Don't get nervous. Don't rush.

-Watch for them "student" gybes..(duck!).....if in a small boat, this sometimes results in the "death roll", so be prepared to swim.

After the lessons?
-Don't rush out and buy the first boat you fancy. Go sailing! Volunteer as race crew, which is the quickest, most intensive way to learn sail handling, trim and navigation (the way I learned) or join a charter club (I don't own a boat and haven't for years. We get to sail a different boat almost every month. When you count maintainence, it is cheaper than owning one, by far.)

-When and if you do decide on a purchase, buy something as small and inexpensive as you think you could live with. Small boats need fewer crew, have less overhead and are easier to work on. Small boat sailors have an easier time moving up to big boats than do big boat sailor who "downsize". Small boats are more unforgiving of errors and respond more quickly to things like sail trim and weight positioning. Big boats are forgiving and often their sheer mass will power them through trim faux pas. Plus, small boat sailors simply get out on the water more often.

Go to the local marina on any beautiful "sailing day" and count the big lonely yachts at rest in their slips. Most of these were bought on impulse or for "show" and the owners either don't have the time or lack the skill or lack the crew to enjoy them.

-Hold off on the doodads (GPS, $1000 binocs).

If you have kids (or even if you don't), invest in quality, good fitting PFD's or harnesses with carabiners. The stuff on rental boats would fail any health department inspection, plus they don't ever fit.

My kids are used to sailing with PFD's and I am now about to move them into autoinflating harnesses which are more comfortable. (In my area, it is illegal for any child under 12 to be onboard a boat underway without an approved PFD.)

Auto or manual inflating harnesses are also good idea of you and your crew, as well. If you sail, you WILL find yourself overboard on day, looking at your stern as it sails away. Good quality harnesses are very comfortable.

Have fun. I LOVE sailing, so will you. Next weekend, I am taking the family on a short cruise to Galveston. I'm really looking forward to it.........

Back
Top Bottom