Geographically Challanged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nomad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can somebody explain why the background music for the Kentucky Fried Chicken commercials is the guitar riff from "Sweet Home Alabama"?

I'm confused.

Because it's a great song. They told Neil Young to stuff it.

Nomad asked:
Can somebody explain why the background music for the Kentucky FriedChicken commercials is the guitar riff from "Sweet Home Alabama"?

and Hank49 replied:
Because it's a great song. They told Neil Young to stuff it.
Today 05:54 PM

Personally, the marketing campaign seems to be off the mark. Hank, I agree that SHA is a great tune, but have you considered the lyrics?

I heard Mr. Young sing about her
I heard ol' Neil put 'er down
Well I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need 'em around, anyhow...

I've always interpreted Neil Young's "Southern Man", as an ode condemning racist attitudes. I ask you, who do you think is being referred to in the italicized portion of the above lyrics from Sweet Home Alabama?

Considering KFC's obvious marketing to people of African American descent, I find the accompanying music choice disturbing.

Steve

Steve Egner:
A Southern man don't need 'em around, anyhow...

All my life I've thought the lyrics were "him", refering to Young, rather then a contraction of "them". I need to listen to the song again.

I agree that it is an odd choice. I'm assuming they're aiming to profit from an easily recognizable tune instead of making a statement. From the commercial I saw I doubt the target audience would be aware of the fued between the two musicians.

Hey, I hear if you play it backward, the lyrics say, "I'm the devil, I'm the devil".
LOL

Neil Young sang:
Southern man, better, keep your head,
don't forget what your, good book said,
Southern change gonna, come at last,
now your crosses are, burnin' fast,
Southern man...

What was "Mr. Young" singing about?

What was "Ol' Neil" putting down?

Do you really think Lynyrd Skynyrd gave a rip about Neil Young personally? Or were they referring to something bigger?

Whatever your answer may be, I think KFC screwed up big time on this one.

Steve

There has been a lot of debate over the years about the Young/Skynyrd feud. Even members of the bands have commented on the "truth." Do a google search if you have any interest. Honestly, I don't think most consumers even remember what that whole thing was originally about.

I was just commenting on the irony of using a song about Alabama, to sell food that is supposedly from Kentucky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom