Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darn, I missed the first half of the show and all the background info. How deep is she and how did she sink?

I only caught the last 5 minutes or so, but I was taping it, so it'll be a fun watch...

nicodaemos once bubbled...
Darn, I missed the first half of the show and all the background info. How deep is she and how did she sink?

240 fsw. Struck by the Stockholm in a fog bank.

Thanks Spectre. I think you're going to enjoy watching the show. I know I did.

It was amazing to see where this sport was 20-30 years ago. I'm guessing on the timeframe. As far as I could tell, they were living inside of a pressurized dive chamber in between diving the Doria. I guess they could stay pressurized at depth that way. Also it seemed like they were breathing a mixture of gasses that included helium -- that or they always talk like chipmunks. :)

Hmmm .... I wonder how much of the technology/techniques have changed in the intervening years. If any of you experienced divers on this board happen to check out the show, I'd love to hear your opinion on how diving the Doria is different today versus the old days. What do you different now that is safer/easier than before?

the big difference

helium vs air

raxafarian once bubbled...
tape? what's that? I had Tivo record mine:wink:

Yea yea yea... you're cool...

Bushman gave me crap weekly about his cool Tivo. It's been about 3 months since the 'hard-disk' incident, and he's still waiting for it to come back from repair...

Funny... I've not gotten much crap lately :)

There's a book out on diving the Doria, for anyone who is interested. (Deep Descent.) I don't remember the author -- Northeastwrecks probably does since it's his book.

The show was particularly interesting to me, since the book talks about "Gimbel's Hole", and the show showed them creating it in their attempt to acquire the safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom