Anatomy of the mad man in VA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just read the first one. Besides not being any good, and unrealistic, it does hint at some deep underlying problems. Its so cliche and poorly written, that it reminds me of the opening scene of Natural Born Killers. In ten pages, the kid was able to touch on murder, molestation, child abuse, sex, black-mail, and revenge.

Edit: The second one isn't much better. About a pedophilic teacher who steals 5 million dollars from some high school kids. Also very poorly written.

The profile we see here is a poorly adapted, poorly assimilated young asian male in a foreign country. Kind of resemble the Hmuong hunter in Wisconsin a couple years ago.

Unfortunately, it is hard for many foreigners to adapt to a new culture, community, and issues facing a young high school or college student.

Heres the wikipedia link to him
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cho_Seung-hui

After reading about him, I actually feel a bit sorry for him. I still find his acts horrific and monsterous, but it seems as if Cho Seung Hui had such a miserable life that he finally had to spread some of his misery to others in an extremely violent way. One teacher said that he was the loneliest person she ever met in her entire life.

They say people commit suicide when they do not have the resources to handle their problems. I believe fisherdvm's profile of Seung is correct. A young asian man, in a foreign land, never really adapting to the current culture. It appears that he had a significant anxiety disorder too. He would almost never speak in class, and when he did, it was only in a whisper. But then he could get extraordinarily angry too, as he was removed from one writing class for his angry behavior.

From this information, I think Seung was what is known as a secondary psychopath. That is someone who is overcome by such negative emotion that he hurts others. Primary psychopaths are those that cannot feel empathy and are very manipulative.

What a waste of lives, both Seungs and his victims...

I agree with David, about the plays, they were poorly written, but nothing too grotesque or disturbing...Sounds like a quentin tarantino wannabe...

Unfortunately, it is hard for many foreigners to adapt to a new culture, community, and issues facing a young high school or college student.

say what?

you're trolling, right?

This guy was a senior English major? Yes, he was disturbed. I don't know the cause - not enough information - but I think a lot of the problems we're seeing in society today goes back to how kids are being brought up these days. Parents aren't spending enough time with their kids, for the most part, and there isn't enough discipline. Oh, and if this is the type of student VA Tech produces.....

-this guy came into the country while he was a boy, right? He had time with his parents to " assimilate" and whatnot before he went off to college.

-The writing is very poor. I can write better, and I'm not even in college yet.

-he didn't hav ethe resources to handle his problems? He ws taken to the hospital at some point, I believe,for medical help and counseling. A teacher also actually met and taught him one on one because she saw he needed help. It seems to me that atleast a few people tried hard to reach out to him. If he didn't accept the help, that can only be his fault. We cannot blame his parents, his teachers, fellow students or school for his actions, either before the shooting when he refused to respond to help, or when he shot people. He is more than just a wheel or a cog that does things, he is a human that cank think and reason and make decisions. Thinks weren't perfect, I know that. He had problems, I know that and recognize that. However, many many many people have problems! That's the thing about being a person: people are the one type of thing on earth that can work around and should not be limited by their problems. Guns can't fix themselves, but people can, in many ways! If you have cancer, you fight for your life, to survive. This guy had "cancer" of the mind, and he didn't fight! Atleast, it doesn't seem like it. That's pathetic! Millions of Americans can attest that they've beat cancer, and this guy can't? And then, we want to shift the blame off of him? The blame is on him and it is his: this was cold, calculated murder! If it was an emotional outburst, why the heck had he bought two guns and filed the serial numbers off? There was a bigger plan, somehow. I find it pathetic that we are trying to blame his school for his decisions. I think we must understand and accept that he himself made the decisions and he alone can be held responsible for them and the consequences, because he refused the help.

Is it a tragedy? Yes! It's horrible! When I think about being in a situation like that, I know I would be scaredout of my mind. But, it scares me even more to see people try to pass and shift the blame to others, removing any hint of personal responsibility. In our country, we have to emphasize personal responsibility today or we will have more tragedies like this in the future: "oh, I'm a sick twisted guy who needs help and that's why I killed her so you can't throw me in jail because it wasn't me, it was the voices." ?!? It also makes me want to go to a school which will let me take my licensed gun into a classroom with my concealed carry permit. The school apparently made the decision that legally licensed CC permit holders could not bring their guns into the classroom, about a year ago? Well, the school forced the students into a corner, keeping them undefensable. I find that reprehensible, and the fact that the students had no way to defend themselves....the blame for that must fall on the school, and something needs to change.

Wow, for a topic I had no wish to speak on, I certainly wrote a lot! And, I'll probably never come read thsi thread again....

fisherdvm:
The profile we see here is a poorly adapted, poorly assimilated young asian male in a foreign country. Kind of resemble the Hmuong hunter in Wisconsin a couple years ago.

Hmmmm.... I wonder how long that takes then. This guy lived in the US since he was 8 years old.

catherine96821:
say what?

you're trolling, right?

No, it is just a reflection on the violence that accompanies some immigrant. These are only the two cases I recalled well. A third case was an asian man who went into a church and killed a number of people, as he thought that they influenced his girl friend to leave him.

Years of living in a culture does not assimilate a person, Kim, there was a recent article in US News about the difficulty of arabic people assimilating to Danish culture. They interviewed a number of young men and women who were born in Denmark, and they do not feel that they are welcomed or fit in.

Although the melting pot works for 99% of immigrants who arrived here, I believe that for that 0.1% or less, the social skill needed to adapt does not develop, and we end up with loners who are a threat to themselves, and rarely, others.

I think in some cases, assimilation never takes place. In the case of this young man, he did not want to participate in any social acitivity by the Korean student association, and it doesn't seem like he was socialble in any other aspect.

Perhaps he would have been an antisocial being in his native country, Korea, as well. But we do not know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom