Nosy co-worker keeps asking me how much money I make-what's a good response?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victoriawtx

Contributor
Reaction score
She seems to have no qualms asking everyone how much money they make, how much money their spouse's/sig others make. It is very bizarre to me, because I was raised that to ask people about their financial situation is a bit rude and tacky.

My friend got as a gift a GPS system for running. Her boyfriend bought it for her. The woman in question promptly asked her 'how much did that set your boyfriend back?'

She has asked me now 3 times how much money my husband makes. Each time I have managed to change the subject quickly. I have to work with this woman in close contact every day. Does anyone have any advice for me on how to handle the situation the NEXT time she asks?

thanks so much for all your help!
Victoria

Tell her: Just under a million dollars. If she says she doesn't believe it, tell her to mind her own business.

Well up here in Canada, we'd take her aside and politely explain that those types of questions are not appropriate for this work environment, if she is worth saving. Otherwise we'd lay a complaint with HR.

Now if she didn't stop.....we'd feed her to a polar bear or write a strongly worded memo depending on the season. Seriously, up here it is considered harassment and a termination offense.

It's none of her #$%&%#$ business!

Or

You do not discuss personal finances with anyone but your husband. If you're gonna have to work with this person every day, you better set some ground rules right now or you'll be miserable!

I was raised the same way. You don't ask or talk about finances, your sex life or religion.

The others give good advice, but this person won't last long...there's nothing managers hate more than people who gossip about how much they make. Do you know how hard that makes it for a manager that has to review the whole department and everyone knows how much everyone else makes and they all start complaining because "I do twice as much as Bob and he makes more than me, blah blah".

Someone will find out and sit her down...then you can all laugh because you will all be making more than her.

If you're looking for a way to shut her up, try something like this....

Q: How much money do you make?

A: Just enough to support my alternative lifestyle as a crack-addicted, cross-dressing, female (or male) impersonator.

:loopy:

Dee once bubbled...
It's none of her #$%&%#$ business!

I was raised the same way. You don't ask or talk about finances, your sex life or religion.

If we didnt discuss sex life at work we would never have anything interesting to talk about !! :D

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
If you're looking for a way to shut her up, try something like this....

Q: How much money do you make?

A: Just enough to support my alternative lifestyle as a crack-addicted, cross-dressing, female (or male) impersonator.

:loopy:

I like your idea much better!

Here's an interesting approach:

Ask her "why do you want to know?"

... and let her try to answer. If she responds with something along the lines of, "Well, I'm just curious", turn it around and tell her that you, too, are just curious as to why she would want to know. Or you could attack a bit and ask why one would want to ask such a personal question! That might take her aback.

Good luck with her - sounds like a clod.

Unfortunately, I work for local government, so my salary is public record (and even gets printed in the newspaper yearly!!)

If I was in the private sector, I agree with previous posts - it is not appropriate to discuss salaries with anyone but your supervisor or HR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom