Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridge vents v.s. attic fans?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Ridge vents v.s. attic fans?

I was thinking of putting one or two solar powered attic fans in to help with the heat. One roofing contractor said ridge vents would be better since it is a passive system and won't break over time...and my be a bit cheaper to have installed.

Anyone have any experience with one or both of these?

Sr. Moderator

Just dive.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Solar fans work great but they will fail and or leak at some point. Ridge vents work but not as well but they should last the life of the roof and will not leak. My vote, ridge vent.
    Dave

To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Use both, they are complimentary. I wouldn't go solar, though.

Registered

has no status.

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob9000 View Post
    I was thinking of putting one or two solar powered attic fans in to help with the heat. One roofing contractor said ridge vents would be better since it is a passive system and won't break over time...and my be a bit cheaper to have installed.

Anyone have any experience with one or both of these?
    Does it ever get that hot in San Francisco?

"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco."

Mark Twain

My vote BTW is for a fan, solar or other wise.

Ridge vents work only when you have a substantial temperature differential, meaning your attic will be damn hot.

Even a small fan powered from the mains will easily pay for it's self by reducing the heat load on the conditioned space.

Tobin
    DeepSeaSupply Innovative Backplates, Wings, Harnesses and accessories

http://www.deepseasupply.com

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Yeah unfortunately we don't get the SF cool breezes here. I'm on the other side of the hill range that blocks the fog and stuff from coming out here. It gets hot out here in the summer (consistently 80+ deg with many 90+ and some 100ish). I am leaning towards the ridge vent since it will be cheaper to install (in terms of total installed price). Right now we have one eyebrow vent.

Solo Diver
    Go Red - Support SB!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Rob, easy, just move to Fremont Seriously, I would just stick with the ridge vent, you're contractor is right. I had a powered vent installed in my roof and ended up unplugging it after a week, because it was sucking cold air from the house and possibly carbon monoxide from the heater.

Registered

has no status.

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    Rob, easy, just move to Fremont Seriously, I would just stick with the ridge vent, you're contractor is right. I had a powered vent installed in my roof and ended up unplugging it after a week, because it was sucking cold air from the house and possibly carbon monoxide from the heater.
    Ah, you have other problems if an attic ventilator is doing either.

For any attic vent system to work you need flow, inlets and outlets in the attic space itself.

If an attic ventilator is "sucking" cold air from a conditioned space the attic has insufficient inlets.

Without somewhere for the ambient air to enter the attic it won't much matter whether you use ridge vents, solar fans, 120 volt fans, trained squirrels running on a wheel......

Tobin
    DeepSeaSupply Innovative Backplates, Wings, Harnesses and accessories

http://www.deepseasupply.com

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Installing An Attic Fan - Popular Mechanics

The best option might depend on what you have in the attic right now. Do you have gable vents? Soffit vents? You need a way to get cooler air in as well as a way to move the hot air out.

Adding temperature controlled electric gable fans (they don't turn on until the attic reaches a programmable temp) made a big difference in our house. We already had soffit vents.

Each fan was less than $50 parts. DIY for the install.

edit: what he said, a minute earlier
    Last edited by fireflock; April 15th, 2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: beat me to it.

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Here there isn’t any cooler air to move and with the humidity just air movement is much appreciated. I can sure see the fans operating (at least one in every room as well as a couple on the ceiling) in the electric bill. (What HELCO loses with no heat or AC they gain right back in cost of electricity.)

Amazing what you find here. I’ve been debating doing that. Any thoughts about better utilizing the Trades or just creating more air movement? No attic either, high peak open ceiling.

too long 'til Palau

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    We have ridge vents, and I think having that passive solution makes alot of sense. We also have a thermostatically controlled gable fan (wired, not solar) for when it's really toasty up there and it's a good thing.

Make sure you also have good soffit vents or a ridge vent won't do you much good, some houses have only a few lame little soffit vents installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast