The Air Car

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I don't know where I've been to have missed this....If and when it comes out, I can't even begin to imagine what kind of an impact it will have on.....well on everything!!!

I'm in...and I guess you could scam a bit to fill a few AL 80s at the same time...lol

I even figured out that I could put a small wind turbine on my house that would charge a bank of batteries over 2-3 weeks so that I would have enough juice to run the compressor to refill the car. An entirely air powered automobile! It would work so great for me too - work is only 4 miles round trip so I should be able to go several weeks between fills no sweat!

And how's this for a bonus?

If I remember right, the cylinders are more or less 4500 psi cascade bottles. Now let's say a diver buys one... if it has a compressor capable of filling 4500psi bottles, it sure as heck can fill a scuba tank!

"Yeah, I added a hyperfilter to my Aircar, gets 120+ equiv-mpg and I can CB nitrox from the trunk."

Edit: just checked the stats, it packs 3200cf of air storage at 4500 PSI, with a 13.5cfm compressor, and has carbon filtration already on it from the factory. I have a sneaking suspicion they just took a scuba/scba compressor + cascade bottles and built their system around it, would make sense... its all readily available.

Price is $15-20k and they make a pickup truck version. I just put my name on their mailing list for announcements - I'm ordering one when they're available, heheh.

-B

Its a cool idea - much like a lot of the alternative car power sources out there (i.e. electric). Not so good for the long-haul driver, but for the daily commute they'd be great (and the daily commute is probably 75% of the driving done by people anyways).

The only problem is that they're only as green as the source used to power the air compressor (or charge the car, in the case of electrics). So if you're city is burning dirty coal to make electricity, you may actually be more "green" driving a normal car.

Bryan

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for this car to be in production.

The MDI/Guy Negre production cars have been "coming soon" since about 2000. He's found lots of investors, signed lots of licensing agreements, but hasn't gotten very close to production.

The air powered carts and forklift sort of vehicles by the Angleo Dipletro in Melborne, Australia are closer to reality.

Sigh Charlie... but it'd be nice, eh?

Only 6 miles of paved roadway on our little island, and that encompasses 99% of the places I drive (I'd just ride a bike if the weather were better...). Perfect location for an alternative energy vehicle...maybe I should just convert my minivan to battery power.

-B

Back
Top Bottom