Around the World...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

911Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been to various places around the world (mostly in the military) and I enjoy sampling the local beers/cocktails. As my diving expeditions start to venture out to various locations I would like to start a thread for all of you to post your favorites. Also please post the locations of your local favorites..

I am not a fan of abusing alcohol before dives, but realistically most peopel will sample the local favs during their vaca and just wanted to see what is out there and other divers thoughts on them.

So enjoy:

St. Lucia - Piton Beer, very tasty. Heineken owned brewery.
Bounty Rum, not bad for spiced rum, tasty in their version of rum runners..

Korea - OB Beer, again tasty, but can't drink too many of them.. (but I was in the
military, so that might have something to do with it..ha)
Soju, love the stuff, really no taste (kind of) but nice to mix with juice..

Mexico - Many beers to choose from but I would have to say my fav is Dos Equis Dark,
but I do enjoy them all

I think that is a good start and I am anxiously awaiting other responses, I think this could be a good thread..

your thoughts...

Vanuatu Tusker Beer.... bit like pee water but its the only local brew so you gotta support the local industry

Yap (micronesia) - Stone Money Brewery at Manta Bay hotel, with a motto of "drink, pee, repeat" how can you go wrong :D

as far as the aussie stuff, remember the Fosters is for the tourist only

Ireland - Guinness! Not that I imagine the diving around Ireland to be that great but it's worth going there if only for the Guinness.:D

Ahhh yeah.. though I have never been to Ireland, Guinness is definitely atop my list!

Wife - I have some really good Aussie friends who tell me the same thing.. and think it is pretty funny how the americans go after it when in town.. (I do enjoy a nice cold Fosters everyonce in a while...)

Fun thread:

Oz: VB
Mexico: Bohemia is a fantastic beer
Bonaire: I suspect it's really a result of the fun had but the Amstel Brights were fantastic
Cuba: Mojito anyone?
Dominican Republic: anything with Rum in it
Honolulu: The Zombie

and here in Florida whenever I go into an Outback Steakhouse I must have a pint of Fosters!

Cheers.

-J.-

Fun thread:

Honolulu: The Zombie

Cheers.

-J.-

I spent 5 days in Honolulu (military TDY) and did not hear of this drink... do you recall what is in it? I am intrigued....

Here in Savannah I'm partial to the Swamp Fox microbrew from Moon River Brewing Company and a good old moderately cool Guinness when I'm at Kevin Barrys pub...

The best beers I've ever had weren't the brand but the circumstances in which it was had:

Had only one good brew in the Ukraine, and a lot that would gag a maggot. I wish I could tell you the name of the good one...suffice to say it wasn't the brew capital of the world though. Even the San Miguel in Kenya with phormaldehide in it was better.....

Coors Light that had sat in a cardboard crate on a flight deck for a few days was good and was had by a crew sharing a "beer day"...Those guys are still my friends to this day.

The first time I had Woodpecker Cider was in Rhodes, Greece...man it was good, I don't know where it comes from but it was nice (maybe I was really thirsty, LOL). I probably remember it being better than it was because I have such fond memories of that place.

The best beer I've had in my life was one we made in one of those "Beer in a Bag" kits we smuggled into Iraq via Kuwait in the early 1990's...It tasted worse than it smelled formenting but I'll always remember sitting around drinking it after all the non-sense was said and done. We couldnt even have a Christmas tree for goodness sake, LOL.

db

Dominican Republic- MAMAJUANA- It is a drink they mix w/ all kinds of (Legal herbs) for anything that might be ailing you. The mixture consists of the following and is very tasty:

herbs
dark rum
rum 151
orange liquor
lots of honey

You drink that and your clothes could start coming off!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom