Ultrasonic cleaning of old Weber carburetors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
Will it clean the inside of the jet channels that are cast into the body if we remove most of the jets? Thanks,
Dave

What's wrong with using a dip carburetor cleaner. I doubt the ultrasonic part will get inside the emulsion tubes.
Parts Cleaners

I doubt the ultrasonic part [wave?] will get inside the emulsion tubes.

That's what I was wondering about. Thanks.

Nice thing about webers is all jets and emulsion tubes are easily removable

I'm not asking about the jets and 2 accessable emulsion tubes, but the six or seven cast chambers and channels which are totally inaccessable. (This is second hand from my dad. We're tryng to keep ourselves preoccupied.) Thanks.

look into ultrasonic, it will get into places that you can not get into, that is one of the cool reasons it is used more and more by shops.

I'm not asking about the jets and 2 accessable emulsion tubes, but the six or seven cast chambers and channels which are totally inaccessable. (This is second hand from my dad. We're tryng to keep ourselves preoccupied.) Thanks.

True, to a point. The emulsion tube it self, along with the air and fuel jets are removable but the hole and pathways they are screwed into are not.

I love the 48IDA's and they are easy to clean in ant vent. I just like dipping carbs, they come out looking sooo good and smelling great! :wink:

Me too!

So I've never used an ultrasonic cleaner for a carb, but I've used one on a lot of scientific equipment so maybe I can help.

Generally speaking, interior chambers of metal objects will get cleaned by ultrasonics rather well, so long as the interior chamber can be completely flooded by the cleaning solution. Generally speaking, sound will transfer fairly well through a metal object to interior cavities, so long as there isn't any air bubbles in the way.

That said, there will be a drop in the intensity of the sound waves inside of the chambers, so you'll need to keep cleaning it long after the outside looks clean. I've also found that frequently flushing out the cavities with clean solution helps accelerate things.

I would just add that the above doesn't always hold true for plastics - some transfer sound well so interior cavities get cleaned. Others don't transfer the sound worth a damn.

Hope that helps

Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom