Looking for Advice on a Video Editing Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Other than my laptop, my "newest" PC is one I built 6 years ago based on a P4 1.6 GHz CPU which I've used with great success in editing video for 125 TV shows and 10 DVD's. However, I have decided that I am long overdue for a new computer for both video editing and general use.

Now that Windows XP is not supported by Microsloth, all I can find are systems based on Vista. I only have one software application that is certified to run under Vista, and have NO desire to spend thousands of undervalued US $$$ on new versions of my software.

I looked into the option of dual booting XP or Linux to run many of these legacy apps, but find that Vista does not seem as dual boot friendly as previous OS's I've run in dual boot configurations.

Anyone have any suggestions for computers based on either the core 2 duo or quad CPU's that I should be looking at?

Anyone have any experience getting XP or Linux to dual boot on a system with Vista pre-installed?

Please DON'T suggest getting a Mac. While it may be a great option for someone starting out, I'm interested in using my legacy apps rather than buying new Mac ones.

TIA.

Dell offers a "Windows Vista Ultimate Bonus" on some of their systems. So you can upgrade to Vista when you're ready. I was looking at an XPS630 ($1189) recently and it was an option.

Windows Vista Ultimate Bonus includes:
Genuine Windows XP Professional pre-installed.
Backup Media for Windows XP Professional
Media for Windows Vista Ultimate - for when you're ready to upgrade
Techical support from Dell for both operating systems...

Last edited:
Other than my laptop, my "newest" PC is one I built 6 years ago based on a P4 1.6 GHz CPU which I've used with great success in editing video for 125 TV shows and 10 DVD's. However, I have decided that I am long overdue for a new computer for both video editing and general use.

Now that Windows XP is not supported by Microsloth, all I can find are systems based on Vista. I only have one software application that is certified to run under Vista, and have NO desire to spend thousands of undervalued US $$$ on new versions of my software.

I looked into the option of dual booting XP or Linux to run many of these legacy apps, but find that Vista does not seem as dual boot friendly as previous OS's I've run in dual boot configurations.

Anyone have any suggestions for computers based on either the core 2 duo or quad CPU's that I should be looking at?

Anyone have any experience getting XP or Linux to dual boot on a system with Vista pre-installed?

Please DON'T suggest getting a Mac. While it may be a great option for someone starting out, I'm interested in using my legacy apps rather than buying new Mac ones.

TIA.

Another option is to get the machine with Windows Vista installed and use the free Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (free download from Microsoft).

Virtual PC 2007 will allow you to run Windows XP within the virtual machine.
In other words your application think they are running a PC hardware with Windrows XP as the operating system.

VMWare Workstation does the same with a better feature set but VMWare Workstation is not free.

Another options is you can buy an Intel-based and run the VMWare or Parallels virtualization software with Windows XP installed within the virtual machine.

You can also install Windows XP in a dual-boot configuration. This means when you boot the PC you are presented with a menu that allows you to choose Windows XP or Windows Vista.

Let me know if this makes sense to you or if it just sounds like techno-babble.:)

Thanks, Steve and Ron.

I've run dual boot systems in the past, but I'm hearing that creating a dual boot option for XP on a system that already has Vista installed is not an easy thing to accomplish.

I'll have to take a look at Virtual PC 2007 to see how it works.

Ron... I researched Virtual PC 2007 and was confused. The Microsoft site seemed to suggest that only XP Professional in the XP series would work with it, but I wasn't sure if that meant as the host OS or as the virtual OS. The other BIG drawback is that the virtual OS does not have control of the USB ports which seems rather ridiculous to me given the range of USB peripherals one would need to access from either the host OS or the virtual OS.

After a few more days of research, I'm even more frustrated with the lack of what I consider viable options out there. Maybe I'll have to build my own system again to my specs.

Last edited:
Ron... I researched Virtual PC 2007 and was confused. The Microsoft site seemed to suggest that only XP Professional in the XP series would work with it, but I wasn't sure if that meant as the host OS or as the virtual OS. The other BIG drawback is that the virtual OS does not have control of the USB ports which seems rather ridiculous to me given the range of USB peripherals one would need to access from either the host OS or the virtual OS.

After a few more days of research, I'm even more frustrated with the lack of what I consider viable options out there. Maybe I'll have to build my own system again to my specs.

You are correct that is one drawback that Microsoft's Virtual PC has that VMWare Workstation does not. Unfortunately VMWare Workstation is not free.

Dare I say it... I'm tempted to buy a Mac! I wonder if Apple's OS'es orphan legacy software as frequently as Windoze?

Dare I say it... I'm tempted to buy a Mac! I wonder if Apple's OS'es orphan legacy software as frequently as Windoze?

Mac looses backwards compatability more often, in my experience. Until Vista we were running some programs created for DOS/Win3.1 in XP! These died with Vista (one advantage - we were finally forced to replaced some truely anchient and primitive equipement). Mac tends to re-write their OS every 5 or so years, loosing (most) backwards comaptablity when they do.

As for video editing, I cannot recommend much. When we upgraded most of our systems we also upgraded to the newest version of Adobe (CS3?). So I have no experience with dealing with older versions. That said, I've had some luck getting a few programs to work by running them in the 'XP compatablity mode' - YMMV...

Bryan

At my work we run iMac's with Bootcamp. We end up running about 70% Windows XP machines and 30% Leopard. Our Web and Marketing departments run Leopard though since Bloat-Dobe products shread Windows machines and that lovely registry. We do crank out short 5-10 minute videos every week using Final Cut express, that's a nice app for the price.

I would also ignore the threats of M$ dumping XP support. No real enterprises can go to Vista right now with it's nightmare third party software compatibility. I have a feeling most companies like ours, are waiting to see Windows 7 before we move.

If you do stick with PC though I would build your own again and stay with XP for now. Gigabyte makes some really great boards, Seagate drives are great and the cost per gb is really low now, 2x2GB RAM kits are cheap, multimedia video cards are decent price now too.

Toss windows, and get a Mac. They're the only way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom