Q. for those familiar w/web/html stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
(Forgive me if I don't use the right terminology. I'm only slightly web/html literate.)
For the last 10 years I have kept up with my jogging/exercise log with an html document that I created with notepad and viewed with Internet Explorer (standard <Table><TR><TD> stuff). I have a new one each month. I keep the current month on my desktop for easy access and store the old ones in a folder in my c drive.
So, I switched to Firefox the other day. It converted all my saved IE files to Firefox. After my run this morning I pull up my July log, clicked view source like I always do to pull up the associated Notepad doc to make my addition. Only it wasn't Notepad and it wouldn't allow me to make any changes to the doc. I put my cursor in the appropriate Table Data cell, typed away, and nothing happened- no numbers, letters, nothing.
What gives?!? How come I can't make any changes to it? Is there a way around this? My guess is that there is.
Thanks a ton for any help!
Spencer

So, I switched to Firefox the other day. It converted all my saved IE files to Firefox.

This is confusing. Firefox renders standard HTML. What did you do do "convert" them?

After my run this morning I pull up my July log, clicked view source like I always do to pull up the associated Notepad doc to make my addition. Only it wasn't Notepad and it wouldn't allow me to make any changes to the doc.

Firefox has it's own viewer and doesn't use notepad. It's viewer is read-only and is not editable.

If you want to edit the file, do "File->Save Page As .. " then edit the saved file.

Terry

Did you you change MS office for Open office?
If so notepad won't work any more

This is confusing. Firefox renders standard HTML. What did you do do "convert" them?

Firefox has it's own viewer and doesn't use notepad. It's viewer is read-only and is not editable.

If you want to edit the file, do "File->Save Page As .. " then edit the saved file.

Terry
What did I do to convert them? Nothing. It just happened when I uploaded Firefox, so all my saved IE files.
Thanks for the help. I will try the "File->Save Page As .. " thing.
Spencer

Did you you change MS office for Open office?
If so notepad won't work any more
No. I don't know what that means, so I don't 'think' I did that.

No. I don't know what that means, so I don't 'think' I did that.

I knew it was a longshot,but I've seen it happen once before.
Someone I know(my Dad :D ) downloaded and installed the complete Open source software package and could not use his old programs anymore.
Simple test,can you open a .doc file,and will it open with MS Office,or a completely new program?

I knew it was a longshot,but I've seen it happen once before.
Someone I know(my Dad :D ) downloaded and installed the complete Open source software package and could not use his old programs anymore.
Simple test,can you open a .doc file,and will it open with MS Office,or a completely new program?
I was just fooling around and figured out a way! I knew you could do html work in both Notepad and Word, so I opened the existing July exercise file with Word and was able to make changes to it.
Thanks for responding. I was sweating there for a while. I hate change :)
Spencer

Right click on the current .html document on your desktop, choose Open With and you should have options to open it in either Wordpad or Notepad.

Right click on the current .html document on your desktop, choose Open With and you should have options to open it in either Wordpad or Notepad.
Ahh- yeah, that works too. You folks are teaching this old dog some new tricks.
Thanks!

(Forgive me if I don't use the right terminology. I'm only slightly web/HTML literate.)
For the last 10 years I have kept up with my jogging/exercise log with an HTML document that I created with notepad and viewed with Internet Explorer (standard <Table><TR><TD> stuff). I have a new one each month. I keep the current month on my desktop for easy access and store the old ones in a folder in my c drive.
So, I switched to Firefox the other day. It converted all my saved IE files to Firefox. After my run this morning I pull up my July log, clicked view source like I always do to pull up the associated Notepad doc to make my addition. Only it wasn't Notepad and it wouldn't allow me to make any changes to the doc. I put my cursor in the appropriate Table Data cell, typed away, and nothing happened- no numbers, letters, nothing.
What gives?!? How come I can't make any changes to it? Is there a way around this? My guess is that there is.
Thanks a ton for any help!
Spencer

Spencerman do yourself a favor and download Notepad++ (freeware) and use it as a replacement for Notepad. It will make your life so much easier. The link below points you directly to the download page.

Click on the second entry at the top of the page (npp.5.0.2.Installer.exe

SourceForge.net: Files

You will find this much, much better than Notepad. The install give you instructions on how to run it in addition to Notepad or in place of Notepad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom