Yet another how many...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Any martial artists on here?
I studied quite a bit in my 20's and was thinking of getting back into it(now in my 40's).
I studied Goju, Jujitsu, Wing Chun, Shorin Ryu, and Aikido. I recently learned that there is a Brazilian Jujitsu place near my very small town and am think of checking it out. I bet those mats are a lot harder now that I am 44 years old :)

Been in s hito-ryu karate since high school, and tried out Mauy Thai for a summer.

You get MATS in your dojo? Wow you guys are spoiled! :wink:

Last edited:
Any martial artists on here?
I studied quite a bit in my 20's and was thinking of getting back into it(now in my 40's).
I studied Goju, Jujitsu, Wing Chun, Shorin Ryu, and Aikido. I recently learned that there is a Brazilian Jujitsu place near my very small town and am think of checking it out. I bet those mats are a lot harder now that I am 44 years old :)

I wish I did.

My daughter (now 7 years old) started martial arts a few months ago and she received her yellow belt a few weeks ago. We are very proud of her. She is studying the Shotokan style and she is doing Nunchaku and Bo (stick) weapon training as well.

It is an amazing sport and the discipline is great.

I trained MMA for a few years. Unfortunately I have nowhere to train where I currently live :/

I did the martial arts for about 15yrs. I studied under a gentleman who is a grand master in Okinawan Shorin- Ryu karate. He developed & taught his own style (called Ikko- Ryu) along with Tae Kwon Do, Jujitsu, Aikido, Kendo, Tai Chi & many different martial arts weapons. I reached 1st degree Black Belt, but kind of burned out after a few years & found an interest in SCUBA Diving. Although I miss the daily routine of exercise, after so many years, I am glad of where I am today because of it. That training helped to bring out leadership skills I never knew I had. Although I know there is no going back, as my instructor is very much or the "old school" of thought- once you leave, you don't go back & I had that drummed into me hard over the years, I do not regret leaving to pursue my interest in this sport. Good luck to you in your endeavors.

I did goju-ryu karate for about a year and a half. I just had to give it up as with moving jobs, I lost my free gym so can't afford gym subscription, karate and scuba diving all at once! My dad taught me a fair bit when I was a kid too, he was a black belt second dan in shotokan style and taught for a bit.

It was a lot of fun, and it is a shame I had to give it up. So Spencer I think if you have the chance it is worth trying out :)

I was a second degree black belt and instructor in Tae Kwon Do before giving it up due to a blown out knee.

I studied tae kwon do for roughly six years. I took it as a child from the time i was 7 until i turned 13. I just had received my brown belt when my dad got laid off and i was forced to quit. It was all great fun, i wish i could've continuedto the upper degrees of the black belt. If i had the time now id restart my training.

I trained MMA for a few years. Unfortunately I have nowhere to train where I currently live :/
I enjoy watching MMA, though it took some getting used to. The more I learned about it the less brutal it seemed. Those people are some incredible athletes. Most real world fights last less than a minute. Just intense sparring for a few minutes is taxing- I can't imagine going 3 5minute rounds at that pace.
Think you will ever get back into it?
Spencer

I did the martial arts for about 15yrs. I studied under a gentleman who is a grand master in Okinawan Shorin- Ryu karate. He developed & taught his own style (called Ikko- Ryu) along with Tae Kwon Do, Jujitsu, Aikido, Kendo, Tai Chi & many different martial arts weapons. I reached 1st degree Black Belt, but kind of burned out after a few years & found an interest in SCUBA Diving. Although I miss the daily routine of exercise, after so many years, I am glad of where I am today because of it. That training helped to bring out leadership skills I never knew I had. Although I know there is no going back, as my instructor is very much or the "old school" of thought- once you leave, you don't go back & I had that drummed into me hard over the years, I do not regret leaving to pursue my interest in this sport. Good luck to you in your endeavors.
My wife is a black belt in Nei Wei Chia Kung **. She too burned out. Also, in the upper ranks they were getting into some spiritual stuff that conflicted with her faith. She says she misses it, but knows it was the right decision.
(I used to help her spar. She gave me the only black eye I've ever had. Soon after, I took up jogging. In retrospect, I wonder if that decision was subconciously defencive- 'If I can't whip her I'll out run her' :) '
Spencer

Back
Top Bottom