The Problem with Science as a Substitute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas

Contributor
Reaction score
Expat Floridian travelling in the Land of Eternal
# of dives
500 - 999
The problem with science as a substitute for philosophy or for religion is the following:

1) Science was never intended to take the place of its greater discipline of philosophy;

2) Science has nothing to do with religion;

3) Science is merely a form of investigation of the physical world;

4) When people become enthralled with science, and then attempt to substitute it in their lives for philosophy or for religion, it is as if they are applying a square peg to a round hole, and doing so would be erroneous;

5) When people become entralled with religion, and then attempt to substitute it in their lives for all other thought processes, to the exclusion of philosophy and/or of science, it is as if they are applying a round peg to a square hole, which is also erroneous.

Science has its earliest roots in ancient Egypt and ancient Greece with medical specialization by the Egyptians and Greek physicians. They soon learned that by trial and error, they could identify certain cures and procedures to solve various ailments, injuries, or diseases.

Science then made great advances during the industrial revolution, when instruments, tools, and laboratory procedures became more sophisticated.

During the 20th and 21st centuries, stunning successes by scientists resulted in their adoration and enthralment by much of the public, which now gives them much more credit than even they themselves admit they are due.

Thus science for most of the amateur public has now evolved into what common peasants formerly viewed as "magic," and so the public's odd reliance on science for answers to every question, even those to which science is completely unrelated and for which science cannot devise "experiments," has resulted in the amateur public's false notion that science can tell them anything and everything.

They then fall into the formal logical trap of the fallacy of argument from ignorance, as well as the fallacy of the false authority on an issue. And after enough people are acting like fools in these manners, then the fallacy becomes an argumentum populorum, as they begin to quote each other, and say "well everyone thinks so too."

The solution to these problems lies in people gaining more knowledge.

A knowledge of the principles of philosophy is a good place to start, since philosophy deals with discussions of how human thought progresses, and what can be known, and what cannot be known, and how things are perceived.

A knowledge of the various religions on this great green planet of ours (blue in some places), and what they teach, and where and when they originated, then lends itself to an actual understanding of the different roles of science, of philosophy, and of religion.

People who mistakenly mix science, philosophy, and religion in their discussions and arguments are revealing about themselves that they have not done the complete study and thus have an incomplete (if any) education. And this is the exact definition of ignorance.

It is especially ignorant and uneducated to try to argue that science precludes religion, or that religion precludes science. As east is east, and west is west, nary these twain shall ever meet. An intelligent and well educated person will clearly understand this.

The most intelligent approach, which also demonstrates a high degree of education, is to recognize whether a question falls into one of 3 broad categories: either science related, or philosophy related, or religion related.

Matters of science can simply be answered by experimentation or trial and error. And if you cannot concieve of such an experiment, then recognize that the question is unrelated to science.

Matters of philosophy are questions or issues of how to decide something, or concerning value judgments. Is passivism preferred to activism? Is pacifism preferred to militarism? Is peace always better than war? Is war ever preferred to peace? Is it possible to know where the universe came from? Those are all matters of philosophy, and not of science or religion.

Matters of religion deal with non-physical ideas or beliefs that are broadcast by persons claiming special experiences, the kind that cannot be repeated for others in a scientific experimentation sense. Are there immortal god-like beings? Is there a supreme god? Do any or all of the popular religions of the Earth represent correctly the laws and rules of this supreme god? Will we go on living in a different sphere after we die physicaly? You cannot answer these questions with either philosophy nor with science.

It is best always to remember these 3 divisions of issues, and their infinite separation from each other.

Last edited:
Are you aware that the only people who think science is intended as a substitute for religion is some of the religious fundamentalists out there who think science is a atheistic conspiracy who's purpose is to destroy religion?

For those of us who are sane, there is no conflict. Science deals with the physical world - period.

That said, science can disprove specific claims made by religions in regards to the physical world - i.e. the world is ~4.5x109 years old, not 6,000. Or that the earth goes around the sun, and not vice-versa.

As for your philosophy mumbo-jumbo; your wrong. Keep in mind, we scientists have a "Doctorate in Philosophy" as our formal title; and that title speaks volumes to the origins of modern science. Science is derived from philosophical roots, and formed in order to answer many of the questions posed by 15th-19th century philosophy. In fact, science is the bastard son of two earlier philosophic schools - logic and epistemology.

Science is exquisitally atuned to many of the questions dealt with by philosophy - questions about origins, questions of truth and the nature of truth, questions of the mind, and question of language. It even gives insite into more idiocratic branches of philosophy - for example, the study of genetics and evolution has given us great insite into the origins and formulation of human morality.

Bryan

And here I thought that the continuation of the locked creation vs. evolution would be called recreation vs revolution.

So what happens when science disproves (or proves) the religious doctrine? True, we have a long way to go on that front... but...

Do we lose that element in this triad of understanding?

Discussions like this always make me laugh out loud.

Regardless of beliefs, religion says God created the heavens and earth and all that inhabit those regions (I'm obviously paraphasing). Science studies the heavens and earth and everything that inhabits those regions. A + B = C. Seems that one day science will either prove or disprove the existance of the Creator. Religion fears what science may find because they've lost the control they once believed they had. Science isn't seeking God, but if there's one there, they'll find it.

Meanwhile, everyone else takes sides. Fun stuff to observe.

I died in a motorcycle accident in 1979 and was rescusitated. I had an interesting experience at that time. Religion has it partially right, but it isn't the piece they think is important. Science has it partially right, but they often seek answers for all the wrong questions. When each of us arrives at that point of our own transition when our bodies cease to function, you'll be shocked at how simple the goal of life really is and how insignificant discussions, beliefs, and affiliations truly are.

Happy to be here!!!!!

I died in a motorcycle accident in 1979 and was rescusitated...

I really hate to split hairs here, but this is one of my pet peeves....if you had died in 1979 you'd still be dead. I suspect that your heart stopped for a period of time and you were resuscitated by a good group of doctors. Most experts agree dead is a pretty perminant state.

In any case, I'm glad you're still with us.

As a scientist, I see no inherent conflict between science and religion (other than debunking a few old myths from many of them). Science often reveals some of the intricate details of the physical world that can lead to awe and affirm a belief in a Creator. Many scientists have found the results of their investigations lead them closer to a religious perspective.

I know I'm not smart enough to be able to say there is no Creator, but I am smart enough to marvel in the details of the universe.

Happy to be here!!!!!

I will tell you, that I also had a similar experience. And now, every day, I am glad to be here, as well!

It made me realize (1) that we are not alone in the universe, and (2) that we are being watched over, and (3) that this place called Earth is only a temporary rental, and thus you cannot really "own" anything here since it is not for sale, and (4) that even your own mortal life is only a temporary gift. I also know now (5) that for every thought, word, and act we will be brought into judgment by a higher authority. I think a good word for this rule is "karma."

These are precisely "experiential" episodes, which cannot be scientifically "proven" nor experimented, nor be replicalted in an experimental sense, which a "scientific proof" would require. It is also completely outside of the realm of greater philosophy, which is comprised of the intellectualization of the thinking process.

I am not sure why everyone does not get such breaks, perhaps because their time is simply up. And on the other hand, if your time is not yet up, then it was perhaps not time for you to go onto the next phase.

kar·ma

–noun 1.Hinduism, Buddhism. action, seen as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad, either in this life or in a reincarnation: in Hinduism one of the means of reaching Brahman. Compare bhakti (def. 1), jnana. 2.Theosophy. the cosmic principle according to which each person is rewarded or punished in one incarnation according to that person's deeds in the previous incarnation. 3.fate; destiny. 4.the good or bad emanations felt to be generated by someone or something.
[Origin: 1820&#8211;30; < Skt: nom., acc. sing. of karman act, deed
thinsp.png
]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom