Home maint. question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

montanamd

Contributor
Reaction score
I've never had to deal with the sump pump in the cellar before. There has been a bit of rain lately and I have heard it come on a few times.

I went down and checked it out. Some water in the drains around the perimeter of the basement and a couple of inchs in the hole that the pump sits in.

Do they require any type of maint. on a reqular basis?

Thanks, J.

I've never had to deal with the sump pump in the cellar before. There has been a bit of rain lately and I have heard it come on a few times.

I went down and checked it out. Some water in the drains around the perimeter of the basement and a couple of inchs in the hole that the pump sits in.

Do they require any type of maint. on a reqular basis?

Thanks, J.

As long as it works correctly you got no problem. It is supposed to turn on when the water level in the pit,(sump), rises enough to activate the switch which turns on the pump. So. in other words, it is supposed to cycle on and off as it empties the sump, turns itself off, and rain water refills the sump. Of course, the only time anybody remembers the sump pump is when it's running. When it is not needed is the time to check that the intake is clear and the outfall pipe is clear and not blocked. The pump itself is probably sealed and cannot be adjusted or lubricated. If it wears out 'fix' means 'replace'. The sump itself should be cleaned occasionally during dry weather, too. Sediment in the sump can ruin the mechanical parts of the pump. Many houses in areas with high water tables need sump pumps. Sometimes the house needs a sump pump because of yard and landscape shape that allows rainwater runoff from the roof and property drain the water against the basement walls and downward into the sump. If that's the case you should provide better drainage topside to reduce the workload of the pump in the pit.

Hope that helps a little.

DC

As long as it works correctly you got no problem. It is supposed to turn on when the water level in the pit,(sump), rises enough to activate the switch which turns on the pump. So. in other words, it is supposed to cycle on and off as it empties the sump, turns itself off, and rain water refills the sump. Of course, the only time anybody remembers the sump pump is when it's running. When it is not needed is the time to check that the intake is clear and the outfall pipe is clear and not blocked. The pump itself is probably sealed and cannot be adjusted or lubricated. If it wears out 'fix' means 'replace'. The sump itself should be cleaned occasionally during dry weather, too. Sediment in the sump can ruin the mechanical parts of the pump. Many houses in areas with high water tables need sump pumps. Sometimes the house needs a sump pump because of yard and landscape shape that allows rainwater runoff from the roof and property drain the water against the basement walls and downward into the sump. If that's the case you should provide better drainage topside to reduce the workload of the pump in the pit.

Hope that helps a little.

DC

Thanks for the info. I suppose it is worth it to price a replacement since this one came with the house. I have no idea how old it is.

Just thinking....

Back in March the ejection hose froze and the pump did push some water out. I heard the pump going constant for like a 1/2 hour so I checked it out. The prev owner had left a spare, so I changed it. Brought the frozen one in the basement to defrost. I had to do this a few times over the winter. The hose is black and pleated. Is there something better?

If this thing dies midflooded basement and I need to change it, I'm gonna get zapped. Circuit breaker panel and it are on the same side. The idea of standing in ankle deep water and electricity doesn't appeal to me. I wouldn't be able to get to the panel to flip the switch.
hmmmmm. Gonna go buy a new one....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom