What is the roman hand shake all about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philsplodge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just had a great week diving in the Med (no really) and at the end of each dive, after the safety stop, the instructor gave each of us a roman hand shake.
What's this all about? He wasn't messing about and I didn't feel able to ask him.

Cheers
Phil

i do not quite understand your Q.
if you mean what is it for; then usually to maintain a buddy contact while ascending; more sense it is usually used in OOA situation while donating secondary.

Just had a great week diving in the Med (no really) and at the end of each dive, after the safety stop, the instructor gave each of us a roman hand shake.
What's this all about? He wasn't messing about and I didn't feel able to ask him.

Cheers
Phil

What's a Roman Handshake?

Terry

What's a Roman Handshake?

Terry

That clip didn't play for me? The "Roman Handshake" taught by dive Instructors is grabbing each others' forearm isn't it? Sometimes used on ascent but this Inst was actually using it as a greeting to each of you? Odd? Maybe he's a 300 fan?

I grab the guy's BC on an OOA donation.

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

g'day guys - moved this to community forums to discuss as it isnt really a basic scuba question

many thanks

We've used something similar to the Roman handshake when bringing people back aboard our boats.
It just provides a sturdier grip on the other individual.

We've used something similar to the Roman handshake when bringing people back aboard our boats.
It just provides a sturdier grip on the other individual.
Yeah for a lift, sure - much better than grabbing hands. But if the OP meant as a gesture....? :confused:

I haven't explained myself very well, and thanks for suggestions so far.
The "hand shake" was done, while waiting, during the safety stop as if to bid farewell before the final 5m ascent. It wasn't to assist with the ascent or help getting back in the boat or anything like that. It was just to convey some kind of message. Unfortunately that message was a bit lost on me.
Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom