The problem with religion as a substitute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken abucs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don't have a problem with people practicing whatever religion works for them. Generally speaking I think religion helps give people a moral center, and in many cases causes people to make society as a whole work better. When taken to extremes religion is very bad for a civilized world. Here's a couple of examples of where over reliance and blind faith cause religion to become a negative influence.

1) It's a problem when any religion assumes it is the one true religion, and other religions is bad. More wars have been fought over religion than over gold or oil. Attributes like empathy, tolerance and understanding are highly prized in most organized religions, how can people think this only applies to people practicing the same religion as them. Religion as a substitute for normal human compassion can only lead to mistrust and hatred.

2) It's a problem when any religion maintains it's sacred literature is a 100% true and factual account of the physical world. It is my opinion that most sacred texts are best viewed as parables to teach lessons for a moral and religious life. When people begin to believe that a provable scientific theory is wrong because it doesn't line up with their religious text it creates another realm to place people in conflict. When most religious texts were created, man's understanding of the physical world were very different than what they are today. So while moral and religious lessons hold up well across the centuries, expecting the explanations of the physical world to hold up as well is unrealistic. Religion as a substitute to a rational approach to modern scientific thinking will prevent the human race from reaching it's potential.

So while religion is part of the glue that helps form cohesive societies, it also represents one of the biggest obstacles to harmony and understanding between different groups. Religion should not be used as a substitute for empathy, compassion or rationale thought.

I think it's far better when people practice spirituality instead of man made religion.

I've always agreed with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: " Religion is not a fit subject for discussion amongst gentlemen"

I've always agreed with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: " Religion is not a fit subject for discussion amongst gentlemen"

That would be nice. The problem is that when someone else's religion, or the implications of it on my behavior, are forced on me, I choose to resist rather than submit. Discussion is the least objectionable (and most gentlemanly) form of resistance. I hope it continues to be enough.

I satisfy my spiritual needs by attending the Kathedral of the Kelp Forest on Sundays. Even my minister, a SCUBA diver himself, understands that. It is where I feel closest to the Origin of the Universe... even though I can't put my finger precisely on what that is.

Also my scientific investigations do not lead me further from such beliefs. The results of these looks into the natural world usually amplify my feeling of wonder several times over.

People often make the mistake of believing religion and spirituality are one in the same. Religions are a business, social club, set of rules (dogma), etc......spirituality is one's belief. Both can exist without the other, but spirituality is your true connection to whatever higher power you choose. Religion, like money, possessions, or achievements, is not something you take with you when you die. Spirituality is an eternal companion.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes concerning religion:

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind." ALBERT EINSTEIN

"God builds his temple in the heart on the ruins of churches and religions." RALPH WALDO EMERSON

“Even though a given person may have long ago thrown off the trappings of religion, they still live in the religious mold and they don’t even know it. Their whole conception of how reality works is all something that has been molded by religion. So until you get that out of your system you can’t even make a go of an evolutionary perspective.” Dr. Miceal Ledwith, Formerly Professor of Systematic Theology at Maynooth College, Ireland.

"My religion is to live and die without regret." MILAREPA

All religion begins with the cry “Help!” WILLIAM JAMES

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom