What should you be doing now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Flame me if this has been done before, but since I'm at work right now, I'm not taking the time to search. So, if you are like me and frequently get on SB at work, what is it that allows this? Right now, I am in class and have given my students some worksheets. I'm posting this and will look for replies in between answering questions and giving help. Otherwise I get some SB time during my preparation hours.

Let's hear some confessions.

Last edited:
Flame me if this has been done before, but since I'm at work right now, I'm not taking the time to search. So, if you are like me and frequently get on SB at work, what is it that allows this?

As a software engineer, a tremendous portion of my day is occupied by such fascinating activities as:

• Watching animated gears grind
  • Watching progress bars progress
  • Watching an hourglass eternally turn over
  • Waiting for a specific time when the users will be out of a system so I can work on it.
  • Waiting for a user to write back or phone to explain exactly what they mean by "doesn't work right"
  • Waiting for a sys admin to do a backup so I can work without worrying about destroying the universe
  • Waiting for a network admin to make a hole through the right place in a network so something can talk to something else that it needs
On a more technical note, what "allows" it is a vpn tunnel to a proxy server. :D
Terry

I should be following up on all the email a manager gets but that's no fun :wink: Besides, it is Friday...although guess I can't use that excuse every other day I am sitting here reading through the boards.....

I do purchasing for a biotech co. I buy monkey blood, donkey serum, etc. Its Friday, so not many orders are placed. I should be negotiating rates, and managing my suppliers, but thats boring.

So here Iam just surfing the internet.

I Should be working but instead I am as they say "sticking it to the man" hey wait I'm the man, thats not to smart. Now I need to dock myself some pay, I hate when that happens.

I work for an avionics supplier to a corporate jet company in Savannah, GA. As a field service engineer I have to know, in detail, all facets of autopilot operation, FMS, communications systems, flight controls, on board maintenance computers, on board LAN, and the on board blah blah blah. Normally my day to day routine consists of:
-Assisting production in resolving avionics issues
-Assisting the completion center with avionicss issue
-Assisting customers in the field with their avionics issues.
-Attending meetings on upgrade programs
-Paragraph E which reads: "everything else"
-Attending more meetings

When it's my week to sit at the Ops Desk I usually spend hours of tedium with puncuated instances of customer panic when they think they have dorked up a 50 million dollar jet....usually they'll call when I surf onto something interesting.

-Dan

I'm an ER doc. My life can be wild chaos, or, especially between the hours of 2 and 6 am, it can be rather . . . tedious. While waiting for x-rays or labs, I amuse myself on the internet.

I'm a computer shop geek, I happen to own the shop, so if I spend time on SB, there's no one to give me grief, except the customer, if I fall behind on a job. :errrr:In all seriousness, I often have chunks of time, when if I get things timed right, I can surf for 20-30 mins uninterrupted, while waiting for Windows to install, hard drives to format, stuff to download, backup,etc. I have 2 high speed connections spliced together, so I can surf pretty quickly!

Geeks Rock!:D

I'm a Process Lab technician in a paper mill. Unfortunately I'm just a peon there & don't have internet access. I do have company-wide intranet access with access to 2 other web sites of the National Weather Service (NOAA) & The New York Times. That's it; just company stuff & those 2 sites. That can make for a looooooong 12hr shift:shakehead:.

It's about 12:50, Saterday afternoon in South Africa now. I'm a commodity broker selling commodities to the international market on a commission basis, mostly to China and India. By commodities I mean iron ore, chrome ore, manganese ore, etc from South Africa. I'm selling bulk as in shiploads.

Right now I should be Skyping with my Chinese buyers. They are 6 hours ahead of us and it's about 18:50 in China. What amazes me, is the fact that the Chinese people are working 24/7!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom