Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why do women wear earrings?

Registered

has fancy status.

Dives
    50 - 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeynut View Post
    ssshhhh!!
    How else do you expect me to stay ahead of you in profile views? I play dirty
    http://emilys.smugmug.com/ See my photographs

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men." -Boondock Saints

<this is="" where="" all="" my="" countdowns="" used="" to="" be=""> --THIS is where my countdowns USED TO BE!--

Click here to see all my ScubaBoard get togethers http://tinyurl.com/SBFun</this>

Registered

This page intentionally left
    blank.

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    I don't know why I wear earrings, I just do. I've been wearing them for so long now that I don't feel complete unless I have them on. Of course, I don't have seasonal earrings... most days, its just my diamond studs. I was sitting here thinking about it, and I honestly don't have a clue why we started to do it in the first place-- mine were pierced when I was 6 months old... so I never knew any different! LOL

Regular of the Pub

, The rightful heir to
    the Austro-Hungarian Crown.

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by DivingPrincessE View Post
    Why is ONESPEED all knowing?
    That should be changed to "Almost All knowing"

He knew nothing of a snowblower auger.
    Mr 5000!

Regular of the Pub

, The rightful heir to
    the Austro-Hungarian Crown.

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayla View Post
    I don't know why I wear earrings, I just do. I've been wearing them for so long now that I don't feel complete unless I have them on. Of course, I don't have seasonal earrings... most days, its just my diamond studs. I was sitting here thinking about it, and I honestly don't have a clue why we started to do it in the first place-- mine were pierced when I was 6 months old... so I never knew any different! LOL
    When you are wearing earrings, do you wear a thong?
    Mr 5000!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Expat Floridian travelling in the Land of Eternal Summers
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by allenwrench View Post
    I googled 'why do women wear earrings' and got nothing.

This morning my wife showed off her xmas earrings shaped like little glass xmas tree balls. I asked her why women wear earrings. I offered my thoughts "...is it to get attention?" She laughed at me and said yes. But I could not tell if she was joking.

Do women wear earrings for attention? Or do they wear them because they have been taught to wear them and give it no thought - for it is the thing for women to do?

And to keep it balanced, you can also give your thoughts on why men wear earrings if you like?

Thanks
    In ancient times, only slaves wore earrings, and these were to pull the slaves along. Same with nose rings too.

A freed slave would be able to wear jewelry in the scar left by the ring.

The jewelry thing caught on, and has continued for millenia.

Escaped male slaves often became pirates, and hence the pirate tradition of male earrings grew. As well as wearing a single earring upon first circumnavigating the Earth as a pirate, or crossing the equator.

Face paint comes from ancient Egypt, and anciently both rich men and rich women wore face paint. This is now "make-up" and mostly affects women and gay men, or performers on TV and in the movies.

Tattoos come from ancient Egypt as well, and is strictly forbidden in the Bible by Moses in his laws.

Registered

has fancy status.

Dives
    50 - 99
    Quote Originally Posted by allenwrench View Post
    I googled 'why do women wear earrings' and got nothing.
    Ya gotta learn to work google a bit better

History of Body Piercing

EAR LOBE PIERCING HISTORY
    The ear-lobe was probably man's first attempt at body piercing due to the ease with which it can be pierced. The oldest mummified body in the world was found frozen in an Austrian Glacier in 1991, tests showed the body to be over 5,000 years old. The body had pierced ears and the holes had been enlarged to 7-11mm diameter.

Ears were probably first pierced for magical purposes, very many primitive tribes believe that demons can enter the body through the ear, because demons and spirits are supposed to be repelled by metal, ear-piercing prevents them entering the body. Sailors used to have an ear pierced to improve eyesight, and if the bodies washed up somewhere it would pay for a christian burial. In many societies ear piercing is done as a puberty ritual, in Borneo the Mother and Father each pierce one ear as a symbol of the child's dependance on their parents.

Ear piercing is an almost universal practice for men and women, it's only in western society that it's deemed effeminate. At various times in history men wore elaborate earrings; during the Elizabethan era many famous men such as Shakespeare, Sir Walter Raliegh and Francis Drake wore gold rings in their ears.

"As the Roman Republic grew more effeminate with wealth and luxury, earrings were more popular among men than women; no less a he-man than Julius Caesar brought back to repute and fashion the use of rings in the ears of men."

"Jewels & Women; The Romance, Magic and Art of Feminine Adornment" Marianne Ostier, Horizon Press, New York, 1958

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men." -Boondock Saints

<this is="" where="" all="" my="" countdowns="" used="" to="" be=""> --THIS is where my countdowns USED TO BE!--

Click here to see all my ScubaBoard get togethers http://tinyurl.com/SBFun</this>

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayla View Post
    That is called "by habit" and results from "tradition." These ancient habits and traditions are immortal. Such as men cutting hair and women growing hair long. Or men shaving their faces (also from ancient Egypt) and women shaving their legs (more recent).

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Why do women wear make up and perfume?
    The ladies of Paris popularized parfume'. You can imagine why. Bathing was not that easy in those days, especially with a street job.

SEI/CMAS Instructor Trainer

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by allenwrench
    Why do women wear earrings?
    I don't know, but it's not attractive at all.
    The Devil's in the details.

Disclaimer: All discussion of value, by me or anyone else, is opinion.

For a comprehensive approach to diving education, check out Scuba Educators International (SEI) Diving.

Registered

has fancy status.

Dives
    50 - 99
    That should be changed to "Almost All knowing"

He knew nothing of a snowblower auger.
    Nope he is still all knowing...he just knows enough to live in a climate where he will never a snowblower.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast