Anyone ever tried Spinal Decompression Therapy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most non-surgical back treatments only provide temporary relief (if any). Which is why you go back every 2 weeks for years and never get better. For some people who have preventable back pain from say, never stretching or repeated stress, these treatments may be fine.

If you have an actual back problem, go see the real doctors.

Most non-surgical back treatments only provide temporary relief (if any).
You obviously haven't seen the infomercials :D

But seriously, I am extremely skeptical of it.

There are no scientific papers written about it, relies heavily on infomercials for advertising, its not cheap and insurance typically does not cover it. I have never met anyone who has tried this and I would have to hear some pretty compelling first hand experiences before I try it. I've seen the top neurosurgeons in my area and they agree that I am facing either a spinal fusion or artificial disk replacement (which I am researching) in the near future. I have tried just about everything else over the years and I am in the phase of ruling out everthing else before I eventually go with a spinal fusion or artificial disk replaecement.

I recently injured my back and my physician referred me to a physical therapist. I had a bulging disc. Not fully herniated but headed that way. Among many other things, he did use a form of spinal decompression therapy with me. I would lie face down on a table. There was a harness around my upper body that secured me to the front half of the table. There was another harness around my waist that was secured to the back half of the table and a machine which applied force to the lower harness. This procedure ranged from 10 to 20 minutes and towards the end the machine was applying 85 pounds of force. I was in agony when I first started therapy with pain rating 8 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst. I always felt much better after my sessions on the rack. Is this the type of therapy you're inquiring about?

It would depend upon what I did after the therapy session. On weekdays it would only last 2-3 hours after I got back to my desk. Sitting for long periods was a killer. On the weekends it would feel better for most of the day.

I screwed up my back about 2 weeks prior to a June dive trip to Belize. We were going liveaboard with 5 dives a day. Anyway, went to the doctor about 3 days after I screwed it up. I thought it was just a bad muscle pull but it kept getting worse so I went to the doc and he referred me to therapist. The decompression therapy helped but I was also taking muscle relaxers and an antinflammatory. The therapist also did ultrasound therapy on the affected area plus I was doing half a dozen different exercises. I know the decompression therapy helped because I could tell a huge difference from just before until just after the session but I think it was the whole combination of meds, therapies and exercises that did the trick.

Anyway, I was able to go on the dive trip and didn't miss a single dive due to my back. Even the therapist was surprised since ten days before the trip it was pure hell just getting in and out of the car! I told him he saved my vacation.

Hope you get whatever you're dealing with sorted out quickly as chronic back pain is the worst.

I recently joined this forum to get more information on where to dive and meet fellow divers.
This questions I know has nothing to do with diving but I think I can answer your question.
I utulize spinal decompression therapy in my NYC spinal decompression practice.
We utulize a three prong approach a medical doctor, chiropractor and physical therapist all work together to help the patient recover from bulging and or herniated discs.
8 out of 10 times the results are favorable and we have not had patients relapse after a 5 year followup.
It is an expensive treatment, the equipment is expensive and it does require time and a commitment to getting better. This is not a miracle treatment or something that was invented by NASA.
I have treated close to 1000 patients with spinal decompression and I am very impressed with the results.
I would consider looking into this before undergoing a invasive spinal surgery.
If you are looking for studies you can go to my website but more double blind clincal studies are needed.
This treatment works and it is very safe.
drshoshany.com

You're welcome. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom